Message in a Bottle

I appreciate your feedback guys, good and not so good... Maybe I am "a student trying to find an unexploited niche" but what's so wrong with that? I understand there are flaws in my plan but that won't for a second stop me trying. When I send away my photos they'll be out of my control and the person who receives it will be able to do whatever they want with it, but isn't that pretty much what happens when you post a photo on the internet? I put this project out there 3 days ago and already I've had over 30 responses from people who want to be involved, from destinations all over the world, which amazes me as this started as an idea in the tiny city of Swansea in South Wales and I never imagined I could make it Global.

Keep it coming!

What I want to do is bring back that feeling of having one photo. One copy which only exists as something physical. One negative and one photograph. Having no backup exist anywhere.
(from original post)

Not having a go, but you see the trouble here, don't you?

I wonder if it's possible to make a wet print so that it can't be scanned? Maybe you could add a wax coating or something that would interfere with the process of digitally copying the original. I know that Gary has a point about quality but as you want just one copy, you and your student friends in Wales are going to have to put your thinking caps on.

It sounds like an interesting project. I'm in, email sent.

I've pitched slides, negatives and deleted raw files, although they are bad photos. I'm not sure I could destroy something good, but maybe.

Last edited:
Here's why I am not interested:

If I am attached to the photo in any way at all (emotionally, intellectually, artistically...), I will not destroy the negative.

That means the only way I could participate in this project is if I submit a picture that I think is either bad or boring or meaningless, and I am not going to let something that is bad, boring, or meaningless represent my work.

As for instant film, well...if you're shooting with Fujifilm peel-apart, you can recover the negative. And I do. And I'm not going to destroy those, either, unless the picture sucks. Once again, I won't be submitting anything that I think sucks as representative of my work.

I appreciate your feedback guys, good and not so good... Maybe I am "a student trying to find an unexploited niche" but what's so wrong with that? I understand there are flaws in my plan but that won't for a second stop me trying. When I send away my photos they'll be out of my control and the person who receives it will be able to do whatever they want with it, but isn't that pretty much what happens when you post a photo on the internet? I put this project out there 3 days ago and already I've had over 30 responses from people who want to be involved, from destinations all over the world, which amazes me as this started as an idea in the tiny city of Swansea in South Wales and I never imagined I could make it Global.

Keep it coming!

Ignore the cranks...they'd never participate anyway, no matter what your project was. Good luck in your endeavor! Group projects like this often have unexpected results and often have unanticipated "wrinkles" that develop over time.

This is a cool idea! I don't want to destroy my negatives or I would participate with a postcard print :) since I'm in the US that's the only reasonable cost solution.

Hi, sorry for the late reply :) If that's how you would like to participate I'm more than happy for you to be involved. Some people share your opinion and are replying with Polaroids so a postcard print would be fine. Let me know if you're still interested.

Hmm, interesting concept in a way. I admire your creative vision.

In principle, and to expand things a little, I suppose someone could go digital, get a print made and destroy the original file(s). Nothing would remain but the print. They would send it off and possibly never see it again. No originals, just prints. Hmm...

I don't think it would be the same without destroying a physical object.

Most reactions

Back