Messenger bag for camera + laptop + books - any recommendations?

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So like the title says I'm looking for a messenger type back that I can use to carry a DSLR+lens+stuff along with a laptop and at least one or two books. I know a ruck-sack would be more suitable for this, but I've already got to carry one of them to hold other items at the same time, so the camera/laptop bag has to sling over one shoulder and hang down to my side.

For reference I'm looking to hold a 7D with grip and at least one lens (ideally up to 70-200mm f2.8)

My experience with all camera carrying equipment (backpacks, holsters, slings and especially messenger bags) is that it's all about a matter of fit. The messenger bag my son uses (that he loves) I just had--it rides on my hip. The messenger bag I use, he doesn't care for. So whatever you get, I'd argue you're making a mistake if you don't first go to a Best Buy or some other play you can try it on and see how it fits you.

Additionally, I know you said you don't want a backpack (or you're already carrying one). But my messenger bag will carry a MacAir (so very slim and light), a body, a couple of lens (3-4) including a 200mm f4.5. But it won't carry a 200mm f2.8 plus books plus a body plus 2-3 other lens. I'd need to get a bag that was significantly bigger. Now if the books you're talking about are small paperbacks, that's one thing. But if it's a hard back or a textbook...I think you should probably upgrade your backpack b/c you're asking for your messenger bag to carry too much stuff. At that point, you're not talking about a messenger bag but one of the old gadget bags that stuck out a foot and was a hassle to carry.

Overread,

I was in a similar situation but also wanted something that did not scream 'Camera Inside'. I settled on a Tenba camera insert for about $20 and use it in a old Fort McPherson coated cordura briefcase I already had.

Photo Insert for all Messenger bags & Other Suitable Bags; Tenba

The insert is very well constructed, much better than the $20 price would suggest. Within the insert I carry a D700 with 28-70 mounted with hood on the right way, a 70-200 with hood reversed, a MBD10 grip, an SB800 flash with diffuser and a 1.4 TC. In the pockets of the bag are spare flash and camera batteries, camera remote trigger, flash mounting foot, flash radio trigger, camera battery charger, grey card, cpl filter, lens tissue, rocket blower, sensor swabs, card reader and a light meter. The lid of the bag has a zipped opening that could carry a book or two or a magazine but I put a layer of camping mat in there instead (serves as bump protection and also as kneeling pad or stadium bum pad). A large back zipped pocket can accommodate a macbook in a protective sleeve when wanted. (I usually carry the laptop and its paraphernalia in a compact aluminium beat up slim briefcase.)

If ever the old bag (not the misses, god bless her) gives up the ghost (already more than 20 years old) I can upgrade to a nice leather bag, if i want to, put in the Tenba insert and keep on trucking.

Overread,

I was in a similar situation but also wanted something that did not scream 'Camera Inside'. I settled on a Tenba camera insert for about $20 and use it in a old Fort McPherson coated cordura briefcase I already had.

Photo Insert for all Messenger bags & Other Suitable Bags; Tenba

The insert is very well constructed, much better than the $20 price would suggest. Within the insert I carry a D700 with 28-70 mounted with hood on the right way, a 70-200 with hood reversed, a MBD10 grip, an SB800 flash with diffuser and a 1.4 TC. In the pockets of the bag are spare flash and camera batteries, camera remote trigger, flash mounting foot, flash radio trigger, camera battery charger, grey card, cpl filter, lens tissue, rocket blower, sensor swabs, card reader and a light meter. The lid of the bag has a zipped opening that could carry a book or two or a magazine but I put a layer of camping mat in there instead (serves as bump protection and also as kneeling pad or stadium bum pad). A large back zipped pocket can accommodate a macbook in a protective sleeve when wanted. (I usually carry the laptop and its paraphernalia in a compact aluminium beat up slim briefcase.)

If ever the old bag (not the misses, god bless her) gives up the ghost (already more than 20 years old) I can upgrade to a nice leather bag, if i want to, put in the Tenba insert and keep on trucking.

This is a good approach. I put a Timbuktu insert into an UA backpack to use as a combination camera backpack/daypack (just used it yesterday as a matter-of-fact). Far better to find a bag that works for your laptop and is comfortable on you, then put an insert in.

I use the Timbuk2 insert with the Timbuk2 D-Lux Laptop Bondage Messenger bag. You'd want the large size bag if your planning on carrying a lot of books along with the camera insert.

Hmm that's a couple of votes for the Timbuk2 D-Lux Laptop Bondage Messenger bag then!

I've also nosed around and whilst its not ideal for books the Lowepro Stealth Reporter 650 AW looks like it might be a viable option as well; however there appears to be two versions a 650 and a D650 although I can't find out if there is an actual difference or if its just different names on different sites (sadly the lowpro site has them discontinued with the D550 as the largest they currently sell so I can't get any info there).

Not helpful to your search specifically but figure many will be reading this looking for similar.. so I figure I'll share what I picked up for mine. I also didn't want anything that screamed "camera inside!" for when I'm on vacation or whatever else.

I got one of these Vera Bradley backpacks.. the double zip, like this: Double Zip Backpack in Tutti Frutti | Vera Bradley

Then got an insert separately online elsewhere to keep my goods snug. Fits perfectly in that style backpack and is still relatively small but not tiny. I'm happy with it! I love all the little extra compartments on it and stuff too. Perfect for some memory cards, extra battery, wallet, keys, water bottle on the side, etc.

So having done some looking around it seems most of these bags hit or very much blast right past the £100 mark when brand new - at least bags of this size.

Soo I went to ebay and second hand - found a Lowepro Stealth Reporter 650 AW and managed to get it for a little under what others were going for second hand (which is well under half the new price). Bonus is that it hardly looks like its taken much wear either -veyr clean and only a few marks of use around the metal zipper/clip buckles.

And it can hold a 120-300mm f2.8!

Sadly things like the Timbuk2 we get, but we don't have enough mainstream use of to be really present on ebay at all (even new I think there was only one or two groups selling them)

Soo I went to ebay and second hand - found a Lowepro Stealth Reporter 650 AW …..

Nice bag! Big!

I got one of those a few years back on sale. I now use it as a weekend travel bag, I've removed all the inserts and use the shell as a weekend luggage bag. The myriad of pockets and sleeves are perfect for organizing small items, personal electronics and toiletries. The main compartment easily holds a weekend's worth of clothes. The thing easily fits in an overhead storage locker on regional airlines. The top lid zip is really handy for getting to a pocket book. The shoulder strap is comfortable and the small padded web handle is convenient.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back