Meteor Shower

Megip

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just to let people know that there is a meteor shower in the evening sky (a strong one) on December 13th, which is tomorrow. In California it will start around 9pm so adjust your clock accordingly depending on where you are in the world.

Not sure if its a photo opportunity but its a phenomenon that's worth viewing - cloudy permitting.

Enjoy, happy star gazing...

im calculating right now, but its early. I think its light here when its 9pm in California. Will be a 8 - 9 hour time difference i think. So it will be noon here. Bummer.......................ah well, its cloudy anyway.
Have fun star gazing and take pics :D

ooh! I'm mountain standard, 10:00 here!... that's kind of late :(

oh well, i have an excuse!;)

Thanks for reminding me Megip!:thumbup:

This is the Geminid meteor shower (meaning they originate from the constellation Gemini) and will be visible for a few days although the peak is expected during the evening of the 15-16th.

The full (or properly called half!) moon will drown out a lot of meteors but the biggest and strongest will still be visible especially in the early hours of the morning when the moon will be declining into the horizon.:thumbup:

More information can be found here. http://www.popastro.com/sections/meteor/meteor-activity.htm

not really a meteor shower, but on Jan 15 Stardust is returning to earth. Folks in CA and NV might be able to see it when it enters the atmospher. the capsule is only about 36" wide, so you may not, but for more info go to http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov.

Oh, I forgot--it comes in at 3:00 MST :)

Now that is interesting news Jocose!:thumbup:

Can't wait to see what they find in it and really hope it all goes well.:D

I think this may have been overlooked on the SPA forum so I'll pot a post on there with your link!:thumbup:

yea, don't know if you followed GENESIS, but that one when splat in the desert last year. We're REALLY hoping that the chutes deploy properly this time ;) They should, though. Engineers have gone over the specs again and again and again after GENESIS, so hopefully all will be well.

BUT, poor Jo Cose has to be in the war room for the actual event, which means that I have to be here at 5 in the morning, which means that I will have to get up at some ungodly hour like 3 AM. AM, that's in the middle of the bloody night!!!! (or last call, depending on whether or not it's a monday or friday :) )

ahh crap it's going to be morning then. dont think we'll see it here
prob 7 am or something similar

PlasticSpanner said:
How long will it be before we will see some results from the samples? From what I recall this may be the last straw for Pluto classified as a planet?

No idea. I think the website has pictures already that the satellite took. I am not a scientist--just a paper pusher.

I do know that we are supposed to be sending a probe to Pluto--should be there in about 15 years...

Mansi said:
ahh crap it's going to be morning then. dont think we'll see it here
prob 7 am or something similar

Mansi, are you talking about the meteors or Stardust? Cuz Stardust you won't see at all...sorry.

PlasticSpanner said:
Thanks for reminding me Megip!:thumbup:

This is the Geminid meteor shower (meaning they originate from the constellation Gemini) and will be visible for a few days although the peak is expected during the evening of the 15-16th.

The full (or properly called half!) moon will drown out a lot of meteors but the biggest and strongest will still be visible especially in the early hours of the morning when the moon will be declining into the horizon.:thumbup:

More information can be found here. http://www.popastro.com/sections/meteor/meteor-activity.htm

Might want to check that website link you provided; it says 13th-14th not 15th-16th. Don't want you to miss it.

We don't have a chance here in Cheshire UK!:grumpy:

The nights right now are real "pea soupers"! :x

Besides I've seen quite a few showers now (and 1 fireball!:cheer: ) Everytime I see a meteor or "shooting star" I wish for a baby for my wife & myself so meteor showers could prove to be quite expensive if they all come true!:thumbup: :D

I'd wish for a dslr :):) not a baby... :p:p but... good luck :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back