So how do I shoot the Quadrantid meteor shower tonight?

Sorry Brush, didn't mean to hijack your thread. You get any good shots?

When is this thing supposed to happen? I'm on Central time and I just went out at 1:30 and saw nothing!

I called it a night, I froze my man parts off for a good 45 minutes. 15 degrees but feels like 1 degree according to weather.com.

I saw 5 of them and caught 0 on camera. Each time they were right behind me. But 5 meteorites in 45 minutes isn't as extravagant as they made it out to be.
I did the same. My girlfriend and I froze. But she was a trooper. I didn't see a single one.

Everytime I changed the direction of the camera, I missed one. I have a remote so I was just standing over my BBQ to keep warm (lol) and would take 30s exposures. I would see one shoot across the sky, see that the camera is facing the opposite direction, curse, face camera towards last meteorite, watch the next one sail across the sky behind my camera, curse again, and after 5 misses I gave in. Toooo cold. Next time, I sit in the back of my truck with the heat on.

Which direction were you facing? I read the majority will be from the northeast and I'm wondering how accurate that was. (By the way I'm about to go out and try my luck. I'm in California)

Which direction were you facing? I read the majority will be from the northeast and I'm wondering how accurate that was. (By the way I'm about to go out and try my luck. I'm in California)

I live in the center of long island, There were a few directly above me and a few due north, and 1 northeast from my exact location.

No worries, I didn't actually go try it. Was frustrated with the motion blur of the stars at 30 sec. in my test shots & decided to wait until the next shower when I can lock it open for several minutes allowing the stars to streak across the sky a bit and capture multiple meteors too. I might have tried anyway but was frustrated because it was a very long day, very cold outside, and very early in the morning. 2 hours of sleep wasn't gunna cut it for me. :)

Last edited:

No worries, I didn't actually go try it. Was frustrated with the motion blur of the stars at 30 sec. in my test shots & decided to wait until the next shower when I can lock it open for several minutes allowing the stars to streak across the sky a bit and capture multiple meteors too. I might have tried anyway but was frustrated because it was a very long day, very cold outside, and very early in the morning. 2 hours of sleep wasn't gunna cut it for me. :)

Hopefully the next shower is 6 months from now on a Saturday night. That was brutal agony that I don't want to go through again.

I could deal with the cold if it's on a saturday night...just having to get up with 2 hours of sleep after the day I had yesterday was not going to be an option for me. And hopefully before the next shower I'll have bought a shutter release with a timer on it so I can shoot in bulb & leave it open for a while. I might try the eraser & black card trick though, that seems like a good substitute. I'll try doing it with the stars streaking across the sky first so I don't waste a once-a-year event testing ideas out.

I lasted 45 minutes. It was very cold and I saw only four meteors. I might have captured one but my batteries wore out while I was transferring them to my computer. I'll look at them later.

I lasted 45 minutes. It was very cold and I saw only four meteors. I might have captured one but my batteries wore out while I was transferring them to my computer. I'll look at them later.
Hope you caught it! Be sure to post it if you did. :)

This is the only one I got out of the 50 shots I took. Its a 25 second exposure. Not a that good of a shot.
_MG_6283-2.jpg

You got one! I would consider it an accomplishment and a great start!

when spring comes we should have a big outing and we all head out to capture shooting stars on the same night, report back in the morning with our best shots and techniques we used.

Good job c...something, forgot the name now....is it out of focus though? or some movement. Nice job catching an elusive meteor, only one in the thread that got one!

when spring comes we should have a big outing and we all head out to capture shooting stars on the same night, report back in the morning with our best shots and techniques we used.

Good job c...something, forgot the name now....is it out of focus though? or some movement. Nice job catching an elusive meteor, only one in the thread that got one!
Too long exposure. Some movement in the stars

Too long exposure. Some movement in the stars

That's why I decided not to stay up & try, until I can do a long enough exposure to make the stars movement look cool instead of blurry, I decided not to bother with it. I've got some similar shots of Orions Belt that I did as tests, but deleted 'em all because I was annoyed how blurry it looked.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back