So how do I shoot the Quadrantid meteor shower tonight?

brush

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There's a meteor shower tonight, or tomorrow morning rather, that will be active on the East coast of the U.S. from 3-5am, perfect night for it here in Atlanta because it's cold & clear skies with virtually no clouds forecast...and the moon will set at 3 so the sky will be as dark as it gets until sunrise. Anybody have any success shooting meteor showers? The meteor will shoot across the sky in less than second so I'm assuming a wide open aperture and relatively high ISO will be the only way to capture anything since shutter speed over a second doesn't matter when the light source only exists for 1 second.

So here's my plan, and it's random guesswork. So since they randomly shoot across the sky I don't know how many trial & error opportunities I'll have so anyone with experience please correct me where you see fit:

1) drag butt out of bed at like 2:30am
2) drive up to the top of Red Top Mountain where there are no city lights nearby and a beautiful horizon
3) set up my 60D on a tripod aimed to the sky with the treeline and lake framing a big opening in the sky for a nice composition
4) I dunno, which one should I do:
4a) use my 18-135 kit lens at 18mm to capture as much sky as possible since there's no telling where it'll shoot
4b) use my 50mm 1.8 to allow for a bigger aperture since it'll be a small amount of light streaking across for less than 1 second
5) To figure out a good ISO setting, do test shots of fairly dim stars at open aperture & 1s exposure (to simulate how long the meteor exists), tweaking ISO until they expose the way I want...I'm guessing around 800.
6) Frame up my shot from #3 again (ok I can skip #3 & just do it here now that I think about it) and set my aperture wide open & ISO to what I found in #5, then do a series of 30 second exposures for the rest of the morning until I either freeze to death, capture the perfect meteor shot, or start taking beautiful sunrise pictures instead.
7) go home, and drag my butt back into bed until its time to go to work.
8) say screw it, photoshop a meteor across one of the pictures because nobody will know any better anyway, and call it the perfect shot! :)

I have caught meteorites with my shutter speed at about 5-10 minutes.
I'm thinking your 18-135 kit is the way to go but you can leave your shutter open for a few minutes for this task.
You can also set your camera to automatically take several shots on it's own and just wait in the car.
I'm interested in how you make out with this and wish you luck.
A more seasoned member will definitely set you straight.

Hmm...I think I'm ill equipped for this one & might have to wait for another time. While some of the tutorials you guys linked to (thanks by the way!) suggest the ISO range & shutter speeds I was thinking about, I really like the idea of leaving the shutter open for several minutes to capture multiple meteors & a true "shower" scene instead of 1 possible streak in the frame. Problem is I don't have a cable release. I was going to use a 2 second self timer to minimize camera shake but without a remote I'm limited to 30 second exposures. Did a couple tests and 30 seconds on stars looks pretty crappy, you can see the stars starting to streak across the sky but not in any kind of artistic way, just looks like a blurry star. Combine that with the fact that I'd have to wake up in 2.5 hours to do this, I think I'm going to skip it 'til the next time.

Hopefully somebody else here will decide to get up & go shoot it though! I'd love to see someone get some shots!

Oh by the way for those who are curious, the best exposure I got doing test shots with Orions Belt came from 15s f2.2 ISO 400 with the 50mm prime. But it still wasn't anything awesome.

Last edited:
have you seen the trick with the hair band and eraser?

Pretty straight forward actually
set it on bulb mode
wrap a hair band or rubber band around the camera near the shutter.
Take a small eraser, put it under the band and on the camera off to the side of the shutter button.
either set a timer or use a black card in front of the lens to prevent shake, obviously have a tripod or somewhere very very steady.
use the card in front of lens or timer and slide the eraser over the shutter
Leave for however long you want
slide the card in front of lens
slide eraser off shutter

search it, it is a pretty simple and effective idea for us nex 3 guys not worthy of a double press bulb function.

Don't skip this one! It's supposed to be amazing. I'll be out there with my D3100 doing as many thirty second exposures as my battery can take ;) I'll post pictures in the morning.

depends on your camera. I can go up to iso2400 with my d700 and still get decent shots. if your camera wont do that, then you have to consider what aperture your lens needs to be on. Ive never shot meteor shower before so i dont know how much exposure it takes, but ive accidentally captured meteors while taking star shots. 30 sec exposure, f5.6@ iso2400 with 20mm lens.

i suppose you can take shorter continuous shots, like time lapse, then stack them later, or longer but fewer shots.

When is this thing supposed to happen? I'm on Central time and I just went out at 1:30 and saw nothing!

When is this thing supposed to happen? I'm on Central time and I just went out at 1:30 and saw nothing!

I called it a night, I froze my man parts off for a good 45 minutes. 15 degrees but feels like 1 degree according to weather.com.

I saw 5 of them and caught 0 on camera. Each time they were right behind me. But 5 meteorites in 45 minutes isn't as extravagant as they made it out to be.

I called it a night, I froze my man parts off for a good 45 minutes. 15 degrees but feels like 1 degree according to weather.com.

I saw 5 of them and caught 0 on camera. Each time they were right behind me. But 5 meteorites in 45 minutes isn't as extravagant as they made it out to be.
I did the same. My girlfriend and I froze. But she was a trooper. I didn't see a single one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back