metering confusion

Paige--one tip: When using Manual exposure adjustment, do NOT use evaluative metering...use Center-weighted metering...aim the camera at the most-important area, and then set the +/- diodes to be centered on what the meter says is "correct exposure"...shoot your test shot, and adjust from there.

Using evaluative light metering with the camera set to Manual exposure adjustment is just not sound practice--it tends to give oddball exposure suggestions quite a bit of the time. I would say, stick with center-weighted metering for all of your shooting with the mode dial on M.

Later, when you are an old pro, you might (and I stress 'might') wish to try spot metering. The trouble with spot metering is that it leads to wildly varying suggestions on exposure, even with very slight,slight changes in aiming of the camera. Spot metering is for experienced,experienced shooters.

There is ONE IMPORTNAT thing you need to change on your camera when shooting JPEG's in manual IF YOU DON"T the camera will actual OVERIDE the manual settings. Go to page 109 of your manual and turn OFF/Disable Auto Lighting Optimiser

thanks! I will be sure to do this :)

... I would say, stick with center-weighted metering for all of your shooting with the mode dial on M.

Later, when you are an old pro, you might (and I stress 'might') wish to try spot metering. The trouble with spot metering is that it leads to wildly varying suggestions on exposure, even with very slight,slight changes in aiming of the camera. Spot metering is for experienced,experienced shooters.

thank you! center weight metering it is!

thanks for putting up with all my questions and confusion!

Most reactions

Back