METERING "OFF" os something.

Everyone has been SOOOO helpful! (LOVE TO YOU ALL!) lol.
vtf: always so positive and encouraging. Thanks!
I'm getting it. So you would basically want to meter off of something if you want that SPECIFIC something to be properly exposed for....correct?

Incorrect. You meter off a specific something to use that as a reference that will allow you to calculate a proper exposure.

If I meter off of someone's skin then I am adjusting the proper exposure for that. I then recompose and focus on "whatever" and shoot!

A meter reading off someone's skin is not necessarily the proper exposure for that person's skin. Their skin may be very dark or very light. You need to know the value of the reference you're using to meter off of. That's why you hear so much about metering off grey cards -- they're a know value reference.

Adding to that, is it possible or just as effective to use a histogram. I have come to like using them. I take a sample pic, interpret the histogram and then adjust accordingly. The histogram only represents the exposure. If the climax is in the center, then you are properly exposed. To the left; underexposed and visa versa.

Nope. The position of the histogram's peak (what if it has two peaks?) does not necessarily indicate correct exposure. A left shifted or right shifted histogram does not necessarily mean an underexposed or overexposed photo. A left shifted histogram may be a properly exposed photo with a lot of dark content and visa versa.

Joe

Most reactions

Back