Metering Problems/Dark Photos

Garrett3374

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,
I am shooting a Canon 7D.. Doing a lot of action photography. I am noticing that during some of my 8 shot burst, I will get 4-5 images that are metered correctly and then a few dark ones... I am guessing this is a metering problem? I am setting a Custom White Blance prior to shooting. This is an indoor Rodeo Arena... I am using a Canon 70-200 2.8 I and then using my Canon 100mmF2. I compare what the pictures look like using a custom white balance and then decide whether it looks good that way, or using AWB...

I am also setup using Partial Metering.. I have tried different meter settings and the outcome us usually the same no matter which method I pick.. I am following Horses in the events using the AI Servo as well...

Have any of you had this problem, or know what I am talking about?

Thanks

Garrett

Post some samples w/exif data attached.

Action means movement which can mean changing light conditions. I'm a Nikon guy but in those situations I use spot metering, matrix and weighted metering can get fooled in fast changing situation. I should note that it can be hard to keep spot metering on the mark in fast moving things too, it takes allot of practice.

Also, WB will not have much to do with your exposure; WB is just color temp. Are all 8 photos in focus? Are they all focused on the same point? Something is throwing off your meter, try spot metering..

Ok... Here are a few in the same series.. And then one of my better shots.. First two are with my 70-200 2.8

OK. trying to get them to show up.. IT said they were uploaded... GRRRR

Last edited:
Test-1.jpg

Test-2.jpg

And the 3rd... as Described Above

Final-1.jpg

It might be the 60hz cycling of the lighting.

It might be the 60hz cycling of the lighting.

I Didnt think about that... I bet your right.... I may try the SPOT metering as well.. But like he mentioned above.. A lot tougher holding that steady on this type of action........

I would spend some time metering the entire arena. If it's fairly consistent, shoot in manual mode.

I would spend some time metering the entire arena. If it's fairly consistent, shoot in manual mode.

I do..I almost always am shootinging in Full manual... I rarely use TV or AP

So, I just read about partial metering on the 7D, it meters "a small area in the center of the scene", when I look at the 2 photos Test-1 and Test-2 it appears that you metered for the shadows in Test-1 and as she rounds the corner in test-2 she had more direct light at the center of the frame...

This looks like a framing and exposure mode issue, the camera is reading a section of the the center of the frame but since your subject is moving the meter is having issues compensating for the changes in the shadows.

So if I switch to SPOT metering, I think it will be even worse... It will be a lot harder to hold that spot on the subject the entire time.... Tomorrow night I shoot again, so I may try a few runs using Evaluative Metering, and then a few Partial and then a few Spot.... Got to figure this out since, this is a weekly gig for me!! I want to make sure I have consistency throughout..

Appreciate the help guys!!!

So, I just read about partial metering on the 7D, it meters "a small area in the center of the scene", when I look at the 2 photos Test-1 and Test-2 it appears that you metered for the shadows in Test-1 and as she rounds the corner in test-2 she had more direct light at the center of the frame...

This looks like a framing and exposure mode issue, the camera is reading a section of the the center of the frame but since your subject is moving the meter is having issues compensating for the changes in the shadows.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back