Methods to selling sports photos?

Can I ask a personal question. How is that a 22 year kid still in school can afford to upgrade from a 7D to an $8000 1Dx and a $12,000 400 2.8, I assume that you also have other lenses. Just curious. Especially when you seem to be having trouble generating any kind of income from photography.

I am not in school right now and it took A LOT of work from 3 other jobs I have. I worked 10-3 am for about 5 months straight to get the 1DX finally and I owned an arcade machine that is no longer made anymore which made it very rare and I sold it for 8k and bought the 400 2.8 used on ebay for that price. I only own another lens besides the 400 2.8, which is the 70-200mm 2.8 IS mark ii lens. I saved up for that one too by working non stop at my other jobs.

I own all this expensive gear, because I really love to take photographs even as a serious hobby, but I would really like to eventually get a job with getty images, Sports Illustrated, or the NFL (I know, every sports photographer says this). I know how it is highely unlikely to even get into one of those jobs, because it is VERY difficult, but I take sports photography very serious, and I know it is required to have some serious gear when you want to get up there with top notch image quality, so why not get it now if I can afford it, rather than wasting money on cheaper lenses with f4-5.6 lenses that are slower and just don't work anywhere near the 2.8 higher end glass?

Last edited:
On the football field, which do you prefer: a prime or zoom?

Depends what type of shot I want, but I would prefer prime.

I've always worried about framing such a high-action sport with a telephoto prime.

Though zoom lenses really help out a photographer, especially in sports/action, I am happier with the overall image quality in my prime 400. It does take more thinking, since you have to move around more, but having a 70-200 for times when they get closer is always helpful. A 200-400 would pretty helpful, but seeing it being an f4 lens just really turns the deal down from me. I'm happy with my 400 prime.

I couldn't imagine the $$$ for a 200-400 f/2.8.

Though for 26K you could always get the Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8 lol

I couldn't imagine the $$$ for a 200-400 f/2.8.

Though for 26K you could always get the Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8 lol

I couldn't imagine a model shoot with a 8 pound lens either
iconhammer.gif

Exceptions can be made for a lens like that

Back on topic though, I guess in todays age parents are satisfied with the photos they get from their iPhones and rebels with a kit lens from the stands :/

Yep! Pretty much. So give 'em something they can't get with a phone camera or a Rebel from the stands.

I think my work is already far beyond iphone/rebel photos from the stands/bleachers though :l

Agreed. But most parents are happy with good enough.

Alright I will give the targeting students thing a shot and see how that goes. Also out of curiosity, how much do printers go for that can print on the go through laptop connection? I wouldn't want a lower end one, but at the same time I don't need some insane quality printer either, something that produces prints that are above average.

Most reactions

Back