Metric or Imperial??

dklod

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Which do you prefer, or which makes more sense?? I just thought I would bring it up considering we have just had the olympics on and Metric is used. So too in photography and I was wondering if people find it confusing when trying in your head to convert from one to another.

Ive used both in my work. Imperial=PITA, but thats just me. I can use it, and used to use it, but I dont miss it.

God I must be bored at work.....:lol:

Like most everyone, I use Imperial in casual speech "8 feet tall, really?", and metric when I actually want to measure something "No, not 8 feet, 2.44 meters"

And just for fun, here is a map of the countries in the world which do not use the metric system:

Being from the States, obviously I was raised on Imperial (US version). That said, metric makes a hell of a lot more sense.

For example, are ounces a unit of volume or mass? 16oz=1 pint or 1lb (not to mention that lb is technically a measure of force, not mass)?

And then having a base 12 system for length and base 16 for weight/volume makes no sense to me. Base 10 is much easier. Not to mention the Fahrenheit scale...

I much prefer metric even though I don't think in it. I don't have much of a problem converting units though as I do have a calculator and some common conversion factors memorized...

God I must be bored at work.....:lol:

:lmao: I'm just about to head to bed....

I've always preferred metric, much easier to work with.

Having been in the construction industry for over 20 years, it is very difficult to get people thinking in metric. Ohio tried to force the issue for a couple of years, but finally gave up when they had to tear out a few bridges worth millions of $$$ because the ironworkers got the rebar sizes screwed up.

Being from the States, obviously I was raised on Imperial (US version). That said, metric makes a hell of a lot more sense.

For example, are ounces a unit of volume or mass? 16oz=1 pint or 1lb (not to mention that lb is technically a measure of force, not mass)?

And then having a base 12 system for length and base 16 for weight/volume makes no sense to me. Base 10 is much easier. Not to mention the Fahrenheit scale...

Closer to base 2 for volume... And even mentioning a base for distance is kind of ridiculous... there are 12 inches in a foot 6 ft in a fathom 5280ft in a mile... No consistent base if there was it would probably be the universal system.

(not to mention that lb is technically a measure of force, not mass)?

Well, using that logic, all measurements of weight are technically of force against gravity, no matter the unit used.

Yeah. So I'm 5'4", my house is measured in square feet, and don't ask how many pounds I weigh. However, I hate temperatures past 25ºC, my gas tank and pop bottles are measured by the litre, and 50km/h seems far to slow.

Pretty much what Dubious Drewski said.

However, I don't understand the Imperial system - I can't do any "real" meausurements with it. Centimeters make so much more sense than inches. As do degrees Celsius.

I've been 'educated' in metric however since my parents were kind of the guinea pigs for the changeover from imperial to metric I am pretty much 'fluent' (haha... this is how I make up for not loving languages ;) ) in both.

Well, using that logic, all measurements of weight are technically of force against gravity, no matter the unit used.

Yes that is true force=mass*acceleration so your mass is
(mass in slugs)=(weight in pounds)/(32ft/(s^2))

And anyone giving their weight in Kilograms is not giving their weight they're giving their mass. Weight is the force you put on the ground.

Yes that is true force=mass*acceleration so your mass is
(mass in slugs)=(weight in pounds)/(32ft/(s^2))

And anyone giving their weight in Kilograms is not giving their weight they're giving their mass. Weight is the force you put on the ground.

*cough* Physics Nerd *cough*

:greenpbl:

(I'm just jealous...)

2 classes away from a minor I just don't want to deal with the fiddly part of the math involved (math major)...

2 classes away from a minor I just don't want to deal with the fiddly part of the math involved (math major)...

"Friends don't let friends become math majors..."

Why the hell not it is the best major ever you actually learn things that are TRUE!!!!

Math majors....always so dang touchy..:hug::

My girlfriend in school was a math major, and I had a t-shirt with that saying on it. Gawd did she hate that shirt.....:lmao:

Most reactions

Back