micro four thirds, as good as entry level slr?

beadgirl87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
Possibly controversial topic :s
I have been thinking about getting a new camera lately. I am possibly going on a big holiday soon, so am thinking this is the time to buy, to get good photos there.
I had been planning on a Canon as I used them at uni and am keen on the 500d. Unfortunately I can’t afford that right now, so considering the 1000D.
However I am now seriously considering the Panasonic lumix G10.
But I am concerned that it is not a 'real dslr' and if I am spending so much money I should get the real thing.
Good
I really like it, the shape, size and feel and controls, the lens too.
When I travel it is not bulky, also the lens are smaller. As I have some health problems, carrying a smaller camera around would be better than a bulky one.
Bad
The only bad points I have figured out so far, is the viewfinder is electronic, I am not keen on that (screen is great)
The sensor size is smaller than slr.
ISO isn't great over 1600

I will be using it for sightseeing, general landscapes, some macro as I make jewellery. I have an ixus 85 and love it, but it is very limiting. I will occasionally print prints over A4 and A3.

I would think given the factors that you've mentioend the G10 would be a very good fit for you. I've only ever played with one in a camera store, but I was surprised by how good the viewfinder was; not as clear as 'true' SLR, but such that you would very quickly become used to it.

I think printing to A3 would likely be about as far as you would want to go, but it should do that from an uncropped (or minimally cropped) file.

i am using an oymlpus e-pen 4/3 as my point and shoot and it is outstanding; which is why i decided to get one as a walk around, in your pocket camera.

I looked at the G-10 and almost bought one, but liked the pen better. just my two cents.

Keep in mind also if this is something you'd like to do more and more in the future, your lens selection may vary slightly between different brands. If you were to go Canon or Nikon, there is much more choice. The m4/3 cameras right now lack a bit in that category which I think is their major drawback.

I'd say if you're going into this sort of thing, go with a proper SLR camera and skip over m4/3's models.

Thank you for the advice.
I think I will 'get into this' a bit more, but would only want a couple of lens, which they do have. Probably the 45 - 200mm.
I'm not wanting to earn money from photography, just have a hobby and take nice photographs of places :)
I'm just concerned that if I get the panasonic, a few months down the line will I suddenly find things I want to do, which the canon would have done?

I think the G10 would be good for you. I have thought about buying one myself, I would still stick with Canon as my main brand but for a small compactit seems like it would be more than capable of getting the job done.

The Olympus 4/3 system looks interesting, but I'm going to agree with the others and say the G10 is a better value for what you are looking for.

Keep in mind also if this is something you'd like to do more and more in the future, your lens selection may vary slightly between different brands. If you were to go Canon or Nikon, there is much more choice. The m4/3 cameras right now lack a bit in that category which I think is their major drawback.

Rubbish!

True if you limit yourself to native lenses only.

However, one can mount almost if not all old film camera lenses of all makes with an appropriate adapter. I have my G1 using Minolta, Pentax, M42 & M39 mount lenses from various manufactures, over 20 now & they typically cost less than $50 each off eBay. There is lots of good glass from film days to be had. cheap.

Here is an example of a shot taken with a Russian lens that cost me under $30 including shipping.

P1030967sm.jpg

I'm a Pentax shooter, but I can't argue with Ron's point. As long as you've got no issue with using older glass, and are prepared to focus manually and open and close your aperture manually, it's hard to go wrong with micro 4/3 especially for the money.

Most reactions

Back