Micro Nikkor 105mm AF-S VR II Chromatic Abberations

Link doesn't work for me. Also, post the NEF. Nikon software can't open DNG's.

Here's the file converted to JPEG after opening in Capture NX2 without any processing. The Standard Color Control was automatically applied by the software, as were any other in camera settings such as WB.

i-bwfzrL3-X2.jpg

It looks to be a bit under exposed and somewhat soft.
What was your concern?

add +1 exposure.
Did you notice any chromatic abberation? Zoom 100% (1:1)

Here is the shot with 100% crop (saved at 80 Web quality). I corrected exposure and added a bit of contrast... that is all.

The subject is very soft.. looks like missed focus, since I doubt that diffraction was an issue at F11. No CA really... just a soft shot!

$bugs-100-cropw.jpg

I agree with the above. You shot this at 1/25 sec. A 105mm on a crop is a 35mm equivalent angle of view of almost 160mm.
Shooting a macro shot at 1/25 sec, even on a tripod, is too slow to stop motion blur. Might get away with it at non macro focal distances, but only with stationary subjects (a tripod would help considerably)).

I did not see any CA in 100% crops of the NEF in Capture NX2. Much of the problem in this shot is either poor focus, motion blur, or both.
Did you use a tripod?

No. I just use VR II / ISO 400. I heard 1/30sec is allowed with VR II on the 105mm lens (DX camera).I think I have to buy a ring flash because the D3100 camera doesn't perform well at ISO 800.
I need only f/16 but at acceptable shutter speed.

No. Not in macro. In fact, at closer focal distances VR becomes less effective. VR is helpful on this lens for non macro shooting, but the best macro results will be obtained using a tripod and turning VR off (best practice for tripod use anyway). Also focusing using live view. That being said, everyone has their preferred style but I doubt anyone will get many keepers shooting macro hand-held at 1/25 sec. I hate live view (not that I'm a macro pro). Many excellent macro shooters go without a tripod - particularly for catching bugs in flight. But you need a fast shutter speed or moving subjects will be soft from motion blur (yours and theirs). You'd also be surprised how easy is is to move out of the focal plane just from something like breathing - macro deals in very shallow DOF. Depending on your skill shooting handheld I would expect that a shutter speed of at least 1/200 - 1/300 sec would be needed. Less on a tripod depending on the subject and other factors.

Thank you!

I have a light tent. To obtain pure white background (#ffffff) I bottom light a piece of plexiglass (light underneath the subject). The chromatic abberations are high in this situation because the background is white and there is high contrast between the background and the subject. Yes, of course I have CA with the Nikkor 50mm as well, but not as strong as the Micro Nikkor 105mm. The micro Nikkor 105mm has more chromatic abberations (2-3 pixels wide). What should I do? Do I need to keep a bigger distance between the plexiglass and the light source?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back