Micro SD card with SD Adapter

dbvirago

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.brooksimages.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone have experience using one of these? When I get the MKIII, I am planning on writing RAW to CF and jpg to the SD card. With the caveat noted elsewhere about writing to SD slowing down speed of dumping the buffer, does anyone know of a problem specific to the micro SD in an SD adapter? My thought is to be able to pop out the micro SD when on the road and view images on my tablet and/or email from the tablet as a backup. Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Thanks

The adapter contains nothing more than a straight electrical connection. There are no electronics inside to slow things down.

Here's my uneducated, don't own a 5DIII (wish I did) thoughts on this;

JPEG is automatically going to be a smidge faster writing than RAW because the files are much smaller. And, if you get a class 6 or better (Class 10 preferably) micro SD card, you will, in theory, be able to shoot as fast as a Class 10 SD card. Google around too and see if you can find reviews for micro SD cards that have been bench-marked as fast enough.

The only caveat would be, SD Micro cards seem to be unreliable. That's been my experience, and I see a lot of that online in reviews and such. Doesn't seem to matter the brand, they just aren't as reliable as their full sized counterparts. Now, for what you are describing that's not REALLY a big deal, just an inconvenience if one fails. I would not, however, rely on a microSD as the only source for the main, RAW files.

Perhaps size is somehow the issue, as one of the principle reasons for pro bodies using CF cards, as I have been lead to believe, (which cost more per gigabyte than SD cards), is that CF cards are much more reliable than SD cards!

My $0.02!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back