Mid Range Zoom Lens considerations for D7000 - include Nikon 35-70/2.8?

63zora

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,

I would appreciate some assistance on choosing a mid-range zoom lens for a D7000. I've tried searching all over, but for every bad review, I found a good review and vice versa. There's a lot of info on the Nikon 24-70 and Nikon 17-55 2.8, but I'm not sure that is the best option for me personally. Below are the lenses I'm considering:
Nikon 35-70 f2.8
Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC or non-VC
Sigma 17-50 2.8
Tokina 16-50 2.8
Nikon 17-55 2.8

I travel a lot, so something that has less of a profile is great. I do not care about weight though. Also, I like fast lenses that can shoot in relative low light without tripods - I don't always have one nearby. I shoot everything, but for this particular lens, I'm looking for something that will do well for portraits, scenery, and general walk-around travel photos. I love my 50mm 1.4, so this lens would need to fill enough gaps to warrant me wanting to use it.
I'm leaning towards the Nikon 35-70 because its deemed a fantastic cheaper smaller alternative to the new Nikons - any thoughts or experiences with this one? One concern is the awkward focal range - or is awkward? Another plus is its compatibility with FX.
My second choice would be the Tamron 17-50 because of its size and claims to have near the IQ of the Nikons. Your thoughts on that one in comparison to the others... and should I get the VC? Some reviews say its not very good.

Also, my current setup only includes a Tokina 11-16, 50mm, and an old Vivitar 90mm macro - so a good walk around lens is necessary!

I realize there's some similiar type threads - but not necessarily with this mix, and I'd be interested to hear from recent experiences, especially on a DX like the D7K or D90.

Thank you in advance!

I have the 24-70, 70-200 and a few other expensive lens that i like to keep at the studio and use in other controlled environment on d7k bodys. I think the 24-70 IS the perfect walk around and portrait lens. I love the range of it on my d7ks. However, for any other activities, vacation trip, beach, boating, i bring my tamron 17-50. Its light to carry around, its cheap, small and all of that without really decreasing image quality considerably.

I enjoyed the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 on my D7000. I recently sold the body to downsize my equipment. The lens is for sale in the Buy & Sell section of this forum.

Good Luck, Mick

Thanks for all the input! ghache, do you have the VC model? Do you recommend one over the other?
thierry, do you use another lens for the focal range below 35mm--or does 35-70 pretty much do the trick?

I have a Nikkor 35-70. It is a well made push pull zoom with semi macro capability. Some of the older ones can have delaminated lens elements groups. Try it out before you buy it. It is a pro lens from 3 nikon generations back. It tends to flare so be careful in strong sunlight sweeping across the front of the lens. This lens definitely needs a hood. It has been described as a better than excellent 50mm with a bit of focal length wiggle room.

If you like this focal range don't hesitate if you find a good one in the $250 to $300 range.

The nikon 35-70mm is VERY prone to condensation hazing the internals of the lens. About half the used versions I've seen have had this problem, and just because it doesn't have it yet, doesn't mean it won't develop it later.

Id recommend the tamron 28-75mm f2.8. It's really an amazing lens. I was very skeptical of the rave reviews; the lens is so much smaller and cheaper looking then the nikon or sigma 24-70 offerings. But it blows the sigma out of the water and can hold it's own with the nikon.

I have a 35-70D that I used almost exclusively with my D7000. Then I got a Tokina 12-24 which instantly became my main walking-around lens. The 35-70 is a fine, well-made and very sharp lens. It is quite heavy in comparison with the modern (plastic) generation lenses and is quite susceptible to flare (get a hood).

Thanks for all the help! I appreciate the input on the 35-70 - as soon as one pops up, I will go take a look. Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back