Midnight Moonlight

malachite

Heavily Medicated For Your Protection
Reaction score
A couple from last weekend's all-nighter in the scrub.

Boulder_060804-02.jpg

Saguaro_060804-32.jpg

Kodak - Elite chrome 100

You do love those rocks, don't you?

Well, these photos make me ask the question that was going through my mind last night and that I meant to ask, but up to now I hadn't found the proper "platform" on where to ask:

Do these dark blue skies in your long-opening times nighttime photos (yours, Malachite, as well as others') mean that there always is enough light left somewhere, somehow in what we conceive to be a pitch dark night to get onto film - provided you give it enough time to get there? Will a seemingly black sky become blue in a photo if only you use a long enough opening time?

You do love those rocks, don't you?
They're my control rocks. Close to home but far enough away to be away from the city lights. I use them to try out new stuff (film, techniques) These 'boulder fields' go on like this for about 100 square miles, so I don't think I'll wear them out :p

Do these dark blue skies in your long-opening times mean that there always is enough light left somewhere
Nope, you get the blue only on the 2 days (nights) before, the night of, and 2 days after a full moon. Quarter moons give off some light but the exposures are so long, reciprocity takes over and everything goes green, yellow, and everything inbetween depending on film choice.

malachite said:
Nope, you get the blue only on the 2 days (nights) before, the night of, and 2 days after a full moon. Quarter moons give off some light but the exposures are so long, reciprocity takes over and everything goes green, yellow, and everything inbetween depending on film choice.

That's great info!

How long were these exposures?

Great shots Malachite!

@LaFoto
You would be surprised how much light the full moon gives off. In Zion Chase and I were doing 30-90 second exposures (ISO 200) that looked like daytime.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back