Midrange Zoom lens that can double up as a decent portrait lens

SwiftTone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I need a little bit of guidance here. I am currently shooting a D200 with pretty much just the 35mm 1.8G. I am in a market for a mid range zoom that I could double up as a decent portrait lens. I'm not looking for top notch glass here as my budget is $200-$300(used) right now. The other requirement is that I would like to get something that can open up to f/2.8

I have narrowed it down to the Tamron 28-75mm, and Sigma 24-70mm. On my crop sensor these have a focal length equal to 42-112mm and 36-105mm, which seems to be in line with the "classic" portrait focal length, and continues where my 35mm leaves off. Are there any other lenses I should be looking at? How do these compare?

Basically, I am looking for something that is decently sharp, can open up to f/2.8, fast autofocus speed, and have good bokeh. I should also add that I am thinking of getting the 50mm f/1.8 later on, but I don't think the 2 lenses will conflict each other as one is for low light and a prime.

Tamron 28-75mm seems a good bet. As have the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and been a good performer last 3 yrs. for more general shooting. And wouldn't hesitate on a 28-75 for portrait needs.

And already having the 35mm then would skip the 50mm and go with the 85mm f1.8 as a go to portrait prime lens.

i was thinking 24-70..... until u mentioned the budget.. =[

Does anyone have experience with the old Tokina AT-X AF 28-70mm 1:2.8. Its the version with 72mm filter threads. Its before the pro versions came out. Here is a photo

yx6xxckt.jpg

I've found the 18-70 has fairly bad distortion at the lesser angles. Just thought I'd throw that in.

But, for your deal, have you ever considered the Sigma 50-150mm F/2.8? It may be a little long for your needs, but I see you already have the 35mm, so you're covered on the wide side.

Mark

I was going to say 55-200 but just realized you don't have full frame. I agree with the 28-75 or even a 18-55 which would be a 27-82mm. That is perfect for portraits!

I didn't consider the Sigma 50-150mm at all. Didn't know about it. I'm not well versed in 3rd party lenses.

I bought a Tamron 28-75mm on ebay last night. We'll see how this lens performs. Hopefully its not a total dud. The seller sent me this picture she took and it looks pretty darn sharp! I'm excited!

Thanks for the help guys!

^ I have the tamron in the canon version, and i have nothing but good things to say. Check out some of my threads, its used alot by me. I liked it so much that i ended up getting the tamron 70-200 f 2.8 also. VERY pleased with it so far.

I've been researching for two zooms in Pentax AF mount recently.... the two that caught my eye as good value are

Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 paired with the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

I've found the 18-70 has fairly bad distortion at the lesser angles. Just thought I'd throw that in.

But, for your deal, have you ever considered the Sigma 50-150mm F/2.8? It may be a little long for your needs, but I see you already have the 35mm, so you're covered on the wide side.

Mark

The distortion is easily fixed in PP and if you like wide angle distortion (a lot of people do) leaving it as is works pretty well too. Plus you don't want to use less than 50mm for portraits anyway. It is fast to focus and for a kit lens pretty fast as far as aperture goes as well. They're also around $200-230.

Tokina makes a good lens and I have the 280 AT-X Pro, which I really like and would suggest If you can find one near your stated budget of $200-$300 but it's likely to be a bit beyond.

Mark

The distortion is easily fixed in PP and if you like wide angle distortion (a lot of people do) leaving it as is works pretty well too. Plus you don't want to use less than 50mm for portraits anyway. It is fast to focus and for a kit lens pretty fast as far as aperture goes as well. They're also around $200-230.

Tokina makes a good lens and I have the 280 AT-X Pro, which I really like and would suggest If you can find one near your stated budget of $200-$300 but it's likely to be a bit beyond.

Actually, the one I posted above is the Tokina AT-X 28-70mm 2.8AF. It's the version before the the Pro I came out. You'd be surprised how little information there is on that lens. I found 2 on ebay that sold for $175. But from what I've read, the Pro I was the best out of all the versions Tokina made, and they go for 400 +/- $50.

I bought the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8. I'll update on how I like it later.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back