MidWesterners...what do you know about...

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

This isn't a convention but actually a job. It's a grading session for AP English Comp exams that high school students all around the country just took. I'll be scoring essays from 8-5 every day for seven days. Well, Saturday morning will be norming (understanding the rubric and reading a bunch of sample essays to get an idea of what standards they have for each grade.) but then it will be a lot of reading. They feed us three squares and some snacks, and two nights I will have vouchers to go eat somewhere on my own. So there won't be time to drive into Kansas - maybe next time! It would be nice to check another state off the list ;)
If you have ever seen a flat kitchen tile and seen grass grow you have seen Kansas.

Well, I'm here, and it's hot as ^#¥=;# at 10:00. Of course it figures that it's going to be nice and cool and dry in NY this week. Harrumph, I say!

I always feel like I'm going to get murdered in KC.

It's kind of gritty.
---

The Community of Christ (RLDS) temple in Independence is open to the public. I am unsure if they permit photography, but it's a really interesting space and worth a visit.

(it should be noted that the temple serves a very different role in the Community of Christ church than in the LDS church, and your experience there should not be used to say that you've 'been inside a Mormon temple')

Last edited:
Yep weatherman predicts temps in the mid 90's every day. Welcome to the mid-west in summer.

Yeah, but in Kansas their idea of a weatherman is some dude in overalls with a dousing rod in one hand and broom in the other.

Well, I'll tell you right now, that forecast is going to severely hamper my activities this week.

Yeah, but in Kansas their idea of a weatherman is some dude in overalls with a dousing rod in one hand and broom in the other.
Ah contrair Pierre, we have some of the best weather men in the business. That's the only way you stay and live in tornado alley.

So, how you liking the heat and humidity so far. Wonderful isn't it?

:lol: Poor Lenny. She's in hell! The gig sounds like it will be stupendously boring by the end of Day 3...but, maybe not. ;) Then she can(not) go outside to enjoy the weather to escape it all.

I hope the week flies by for you, sister!

:lol: Poor Lenny. She's in hell! The gig sounds like it will be stupendously boring by the end of Day 3...but, maybe not. ;) Then she can(not) go outside to enjoy the weather to escape it all.

Hey, that's my home state you are bad mouthing there sister.

The state where I was born, where I spent my child hood, went to school, went to college, met my current and only wife and married her there, where I worked for 33 + years before I retired, where my wife still works. We have no hills, we have wheat, milo, soybeans, cattle, with a the largest city having a population of 380,000. We have Sam Brownback and a right wing government that tries to deny voters rights, doesn't want to fund schools, only taxes the working joe not the business owner and any one can carry a gun anytime, anywhere, anyhow.

:confusion: Oh wait, I guess you are right............I Live In HELL!!!! :aiwebs_016: :blue:

Ah contrair Pierre, we have some of the best weather men in the business. That's the only way you stay and live in tornado alley.

I lived in KS, only saw one tornado though.

I lived in KS, only saw one tornado though.
Staying one night at a motel in Salina Kansas is not living in Kansas. You should have stayed around for a couple more days.

Well, I still know what my name is, so that's good ;) It's definitely a long, intense day. Today I read a little over 100 essays. We had a few "warm-up" things to do in the morning before we started, and I'll probably get faster as I get more used to the scoring rubric, which means that the number of essays per day will get higher.

I did learn that I can get from my hotel to the Union Station without even going above ground, so I might venture out tomorrow. It's supposedly got some good shops, etc, and I'll see what kind of pictures I can get. Plus I'd like to see it because it was on Hemingway's beat when he was a cup reporter for the Kansas City Star. (Yes, I'm a geek :) ) Tuesday is "dine out" night so I guess I'll have to leave the hotel again.

In the meantime, I've been spending an hour or more at the fitness center. After the intense hours of mental work, working up a good sweat feels good - gets the blood flowing and it's mindless.

And I'm getting to bed early. Actually, the 6am wake-up is good practice for when I start the full-time gig next week. Yikes!

Staying one night at a motel in Salina Kansas is not living in Kansas. You should have stayed around for a couple more days.

I lived in Hays for two or three years and Lawrence for another year. I wasn't impressed much by either.

My parents are moving to Lawrence this month. Rent is cheaper than Silicon Valley.

Most reactions

Back