Might be getting published!?

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so this just happened and I'm still sitting here trying to process it so bear with me :)

I was just contacted about having some of my bird images published in a book about a local town. (holy Hannah!)

I'm waiting on more details So in the meantime I thought it would be smart to ask you guys if there any I's to dot or t's to cross?

There won't be monetary compensation, only credit given and I'm good with that only being 4 months into my photography adventure.

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Awesome! It's often kind of a thrill to see your images published. Yeah, published with credit line...at 4 months in, I say that's ample compensation. Enjoy the buzz!! If others happen to post and insist that you should have had a contract and earned X amount of dollars, pay no heed to them. Sometimes "compensation" does NOT equal "dollars". That's a lesson many people never learn. Congratulations!

Thanks so much Derrel and 12sndsgood :)

Derrel, you and I are on the same page with the compensation. I won't blow wind up anyone's skirt and say I haven't daydreamed about being published and paid because I have and it is my ultimate goal :)

From what I can tell wildlife is a tuff nut to crack so I'm considering this opportunity a great start :)

I would recommend you write a use license, even though you are not being paid.

Visit www.ASMP.org and on the left click on 'Business Resources' and look at the use licensing info they provide.

Last edited:
Thank you Keith, I will take a look :)

Wow, they want 11 images, crazy! Not sure which ones yet..have to look them up.., still getting more info etc...

People, organizations, businesses that use to pay to use someone's photos love Flickr and all the stuff they can now get for nothing.

Are they giving the book away, or selling it?

If they are selling it, your 11 photos make up an important part of the book's content.

Hey Keith, got more info, it was a friend who contacted me because of my shots on FB. It is for the Tourism Guide for a village through their Chamber of Commerce so it will be a free publication as it stands now.

I absolutely get what you are saying though. If it was being sold and wasn't for a small local village I'm sure it would make me pause and go hmmm... with them asking for that many images. I'm good with "donating" the images at this time though :)

Very exciting, congrats! I was in a similar situation when I was approached by Sony Pictures about using one of my images. It'll be appearing in "21 Jump Street" which comes out in a couple weeks.

It's definitely cool when people notice you enough to use your work!

Very nice Josh, congrats right back at you! I remember that show, didn't know they were bringing it back :)
It is awesome to be noticed especially out of the blue.

Very nice Josh, congrats right back at you! I remember that show, didn't know they were bringing it back :)
It is awesome to be noticed especially out of the blue.

They're making it into a movie. It has Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, and there will probably be a cameo by Johnny Depp.

Wildlife is tough... Birds are even tougher. A lot of your shots look like they were taken near a feeder; do you get all of these species in your back yard?

Hey Keith, got more info, it was a friend who contacted me because of my shots on FB. It is for the Tourism Guide for a village through their Chamber of Commerce so it will be a free publication as it stands now.

I absolutely get what you are saying though. If it was being sold and wasn't for a small local village I'm sure it would make me pause and go hmmm... with them asking for that many images. I'm good with "donating" the images at this time though :)

That's fantastic - congrats!
Which village?

Ah that's cool Josh, we will watch for the movie. Where are your images being used so I can find them ;) ?

Thanks Blacksheep! It's for Paisley :)

Yes Josh, most of them are near the feeders but calling it my backyard might be a bit misleading. We bought this place in October, 20 acres, pond, river etc... So while it is technically my backyard... Lol

Most reactions

Back