Migrating from Picasa

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Google is killing Picasa: Google Is Finally Killing Picasa

I've invested dozens of hours into organizing photos and indexing using picasa facial recognition.

Any way to migrate that metadata over to another program?

I don't know, but I'm sure if there isn't one, someone will come up with one soon; there can't be more than a few million people in your position. That sucks!

I use Flickr and picassa, both are likely going. String of profanity..........

Google is killing Picasa: Google Is Finally Killing Picasa

I've invested dozens of hours into organizing photos and indexing using picasa facial recognition.

Any way to migrate that metadata over to another program?

All of your photos and albums have automatically been copied onto Google Photos. The BAD news is that the way you can link back, etc to those albums and photos is all f&&&&&ed up!

Arrah! So frustrating. Does Lightroom or PSE have facial recognition in the photo organization?

From what I can see, Picassa desktop is staying, so if all your picture folders are in one root folder it still organises them by date, it seems to be only the online side of it is changing

From what I can see, Picassa desktop is staying, so if all your picture folders are in one root folder it still organises them by date, it seems to be only the online side of it is changing
Doesn't bode well for its future. At some point it appears on track to go away entirely.

What I have decided to do is (and this is painful) is dl all the pictures from Picasa and put them in folders with the same names as the albums. In other words a mirror of my Picasa account. The pictures I post there are low dpi small jpgs fro linking to and for others to view. I, of course have all the original RAWs backed up in duplicate on two external USB drives(1& 2 terrabyters). When I find a 'permanent' on'line solution I can then re;load those albums. In the meantime I will continue to add to the Picasa albums while putting a duplicate in my Picasa backup albums. Thank you GOOGLE you Suns-a-B%(*&$es!
I have a theory (and since I am not a spiritual person this comes hard to accept, but it fits the facts) When Jobs died his spirit took control of the GOOGLE/ALPHABET CEO and is now running things! :fangs:

They've been phasing Picasa out for years now. you all knew it was coming...

It's all Google Photos now anyway, so it's not like you lost your online storage -- it's one in the same. They are just no longer going to support the desktop app.

It makes much more sense for them to cater to photo users.

maybe Yahoo will buy Picasa

:whip:

yahoo cant afford google money.

All of your photos and albums have automatically been copied onto Google Photos.
And at Google Photos, they'll claim all the rights of their photos in their new terms and rules?
Would be so painful.

Hopefully Flickr won't do such move in the near future....
Flickr is already very very slow the past few weeks, pushing us all to Instagram.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back