Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any suggestions for a good milk analogue? I have an idea for an image that involves pouring milk into coffee in such a way that you can see in the coffee (clear glass mug); real milk won't work as it mixes too readily with the liquid into which I'm pouring it. The Elmer's glue and water version and white paint don't seem to work terribly well. The glue doesn't look natural when it pours, and making it in quantity is a PIA. Paint just plain doesn't work...

Condensed or sweetened condensed milk? Coffee creamer?

Condensed or sweetened condensed milk? Coffee creamer?
Condensed milk tends to be rather yellowish in colour, and coffee-creamer (at least in my experience; I'm a black-coffee person) has a very similar density to milk.

Buy a box of powdered milk....awful stuff. But a couple years ago I did a milk bath shoot, and that's what I used.

Perhaps powdered milk could be mixed up using clear corn syrup, or clear soda pop (Sprite, or 7-Up), or maybe glycerin. Depending on the desired effect/viscosity. I am not a chemist, but perhaps a big temperature variation would help, such as mixing the powdered milk up with ice water.

Perhaps powdered milk could be mixed up using clear corn syrup, or clear soda pop (Sprite, or 7-Up), or maybe glycerin. Depending on the desired effect/viscosity. I am not a chemist, but perhaps a big temperature variation would help, such as mixing the powdered milk up with ice water.
I was going to try glycerin, corn syrup might work too

try double cream (I think that is heavy cream for those of you in the US, possibly Canada too) it mixes a lot more slowly due to the fat content

Maybe add some cornstarch to the liquid to thicken it?

Skimmed milk or protein milk maybe, would have the same colour anyway.

try double cream (I think that is heavy cream for those of you in the US, possibly Canada too) it mixes a lot more slowly due to the fat content
Again, it tends to have a bit of a yellow tone, and if I'm buying heavy cream, it's going on something I'm eating!!!

Maybe add some cornstarch to the liquid to thicken it?
That's a thought

Skimmed milk or protein milk maybe, would have the same colour anyway.
Not familiar with protein milk, but I would expect that they would be even thinner than regular milk, no?

Bottled Pina Colada mix. It’s white, it’s thick, if it doesn’t look good you may still have created a tasty new coffee drink.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back