Milk Analogue?

I was going to suggest coconut milk next. The stuff in a can is really thick. And white. Shake it real well.

Just thinking, I haven't tried this but what about the other way 'round using a substitute for the coffee, something that was thicker or more viscous. Might be easier to correct the "coffee" colour than the white.

Just thinking, I haven't tried this but what about the other way 'round using a substitute for the coffee, something that was thicker or more viscous. Might be easier to correct the "coffee" colour than the white.
I tried thickening the liquid in the coffee cup, but it doesn't seem to work as well; to get the "pour" appearance i have in mind, the liquid being poured (in this case, the "milk") needs to have a greater density than the liquid into which it is poured.

cornstarch and water - make a slurry. you can control the thickness and it will be white

eta - may work better if you use cold coffee

Baby formula? nah, probably not any thicker than milk or half 'n half. Yogurt? Pudding? (vanilla might be too yellow, rice too lumpy!) so maybe not. Sour cream? I'm thinking if it's thicker once it hits hot coffee it should start to melt and thin out. Or ice cream? creamy whip?

Or the paint they use to paint ice in hockey rinks (this from a hockey fan looking at a long off season!)

Melted coconut ice cream? Typically whiter than vanilla ice cream. Melted then refrigerated to 34-39 degrees?

I used old oil with milk for my time lapse
Maybe you could change the coffee for oil

I used old oil with milk for my time lapse
Maybe you could change the coffee for oil
Based on my highly non-scientific tests, it seems that liquid being poured needs to be the denser of the two (and I'm actually a bit short on oil right now).

Hiya,
Have you thought of using strobe flash to capture the moments of the milk mixing?

Hiya,
Have you thought of using strobe flash to capture the moments of the milk mixing?
There will be LOTS of flash involved, the issue I'm trying to sort out is to have the "milk" pour into the coffee in such a way that you see it project as a "spear" of milk well down in to the mug; speed/motion stopping isn't really an issue.

Elmer Glue. I kid you not.
Yep, know that one... maybe it was a proportion thing, but didn't really work well when I tried it, and I expect I'm going to use quite a bit of it (I rarely get the image in the first 10-20,000 frames....).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back