Milky way from northern WI

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've only recently begun playing with astrophotography, but it's quite fun. I picked up a 20mm f/1.8 a few weeks ago, mainly for an UWA walk around lens while traveling, but found its capabilities well suited for the night sky. I was up in northern WI last week where the skies are much darker. The only problem is that it's called the north woods for a reason... trying to find a clearing large enough to get a wide FOV of the night sky is difficult.

This was a 3 shot composition. The best I could muster so far. I'm finding it difficult to get a balance between not getting too many stars, but also getting enough detain in the milky way disk. This was shot at 20mm, f/2, 30 sec, ISO 800.

As always, C&C and suggestions always welcome.

Attachments

• 2016-08-15_10-09-43.jpg
    2016-08-15_10-09-43.jpg
    914.2 KB · Views: 147
Very nice! I have also been messing with the stars recently. I have found that nearly all occasions I end up shooting ISO 800, 30-second exposure, every 30 seconds. I say how often because I've been shooting star trails. I can't quite get far enough out of town for the Milky Way though.

Here's a recent one...

East Fork Star Trails 2015 | 08-13-2015EastForkStarTrails

Nicely done, personally I would boost the saturation a little to bring out a little more colour in the stars and MW. But thats just me nit picking

Most reactions

New Topics

Back