Milky Way question

photo12345

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone, hope some of you can fill me in on something.

Currently where I'm located an app I have on my iPad says the Milky Way will raise in 9 1/2 hours.

The sun is raising in 10 1/2 hours.

My question is from my location will the Milky Way only be visible at this time every day?

Keep in mind I know very little about astronomy.

Thanks

Both will have different rise and set times from day to day. Technically, pretty much everything you see in the night sky with the naked is part of the Milky Way (save for some nearby galaxies). But the brightest part (that which is the center of our galaxy) is usually what most consider to be 'the' MW. Half of the year, the sun is in that part of the sky and no one can see it. Wait six months at everything will change.

Your location on the planet will give you pretty much the same view as everyone else..... just at different times relative to each other.

Say what now ?

The Milky Way "rises" ?!?!?

The Milky Way is our galaxy, its a huge band over the nights sky ... to my best knowledge, it is always visible in the night sky. At least if you ignore the issue with general visibility of the night sky (clouds, artifical light, pollution) and the issue of the north pole in winter or the south pole in summer.

I once read that they had a complete power outage in New York and instantly people paniked because there was this strange band in the sky ... thanks to artifical light, they had never seen it before.

I have photographed the night sky ... doesnt work too awfully with a 28mm f1.8 and a D750 and you're out in the country, far away from large sources of artifical light, and the sky isnt cloudy. Still needed ISO 6400 though to avoid star trails and the resulting pictures are noisy and have a weird green tint.

Thanks everyone for the input. I should have said the " Milky Way centre"raises. Sorry my mistake.

Thanks for clearing up that the times change as the year goes on.

The band we see in the sky as the Milky Way is just coming out from behind the sun this time of year. That means that right now it's only visible just before sunrise, if it's visible at all as the sky starts brightening.

You can keep track of where it is if you can keep track of where Sagittarius is, since the Milky Way runs through Sagittarius. My phone app (Google Sky) shows constellations, but not the Milky Way.

The Milky Way will be getting up earlier and earlier over the next few months, making it viewable in the wee hours of the morning, then middle of the night, late night, then early evening, until in November it is only visible a little while after sunset, but again, only if it's visible at all in the darkening sky and thicker air towards the horizon.

Note too that where on Earth you are will determine how high in the sky the center of the Milky Way will get.
Your profile shows no location info for you.

Here in central Iowa (42° north latitude) the galactic center won't get significantly above the horizon at night until midnight in mid-May.
Even when it gets as high as it can here in central Iowa on about July 10 @ midnight it will be still only be about 15° above the southern horizon.
The more southerly you are the higher the galactic center will be in the sky.

Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer
With Stellarium you can change the date and time and see what the sky looks like then.
Put in your birth date to see what the night sky looked like when you were born.
Put in the date man first stepped on the Moon, July 21, 1969 at 02:56 UTC and you can see where in the night sky the Moon was that night.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that it is safe to assume that you are in the Northern Hemisphere? (I"m in North America and the best time of year for us to photograph the Milky Way is from April - August.

Hemisphere is irrelevant for the Milky Way, it's strictly the time of year. But yes, May to August is best, although March to October is pretty good if you get a dark enough location.

Hemisphere is irrelevant for the Milky Way, it's strictly the time of year. But yes, May to August is best, although March to October is pretty good if you get a dark enough location.

Not sure that I agree with you. The time of year is due to the axis of the earth. This means if you are in Australia right now (where it is their Summer) you would be able to get great shots of the Milky Way.

This is what the article that Peeb posted says.

The Milky Way is in the area of sky where Sagittarius is, and that's not seasonal. However, the core of the Milky Way is higher in the southern hemisphere than in the northern, due to the solar system's tilt relative to the galaxy, so viewing is better in the southern hemisphere. Also, it's winter there in those months so nights are longer, adding to the possible viewing time.

As the Earth moves in its orbit around the sun, the sun gets between us and the Milky Way for a few weeks. being in the northern or southern hemisphere doesn't change that

The Milky Way band is technically a "ring" that goes all the way around the planet as seen in our night sky. But the "plane" of the Milky Way isn't aligned with the "plane" of the Solar system (nor the planet's equator) which means the ring will appear to flip up and roll across the sky.

The center of the galaxy is in the direction of the constellation Sagittarius and the black hole at the center is named Sagittarius A* (pronounced "A star") but it's declination is -29º (which means that if you lived in the Southern hemisphere at -29º south latitude then the center would pass directly above your head. This is the densest part of the Milky Way and usually when you see photographs that depict the Milky way... that's what they're going for.

If you live in the Northern Hemisphere, you'll get your best of views of this area around July.

You can see some part of the Milky Way on any clear night of the year but you might not see an ideal area of it for photography.

I was just doing some astrophotography on the top of Haleakala (Maui) in Science City (where all the professional observatories are located) and while the sky is so dark I could clearly see the Zodiacal Light (a dust ring in space that follows the planet) the Milky Way itself was visible... but weak (even in the what is practically the most ideal dark sky conditions not he planet -- only the Atacama Desert in Chile can compete).

As the months pass, the summer Milky Way will start to rise earlier and early in the morning just before sunrise (at around 5am but it's too low to the horizon and you have to wait a few hours to get a good view and by that time the sun is up). But each month it rises 2 hours earlier. In three months, it will be rising before midnight. In 5 months (June) it will be rising at 8am but it will be "well up" in the sky by midnight and easier to photograph.

The farther south you live, the better your view.

Most reactions

Back