Millenium, Baltic and Sage (56k - 5 pics)

KenCo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.takingthepic.com
First time at shooting round the Newcastle/Gateshead area.....
Got a couple of sunset shots too but haven't had much of a chance at processing all of them yet.
All shots taken with the Sigma 28-70 at F2.8 and iso 400 handheld.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

Must get back to better these shots, an enjoyable evening....and couldn't believe how many photographers were snapping away.
C&C Welcome.
TFL.
Ken.

all great shots especially I think 4 and 5, on 5 can you walk on that thing? it looks like some sort of space age bridge

Is it reflections on that building in 4 or see-through glass as opposed to another kind of glass that was made somehow... metallic, and that now reflects the sky?

I also like your Photo 2 here very much! The close up where only the wires of the bridge indicate it was there and the flour mill so clearly showing.

No wonder there were so many photogs there - it was the best time of the evening to get these pics!!! The sky has a wonderful colour.

Thanks guys appreciate the comments....
You can walk across the bridge and it is called the Millenium Bridge....
Some info.
Gateshead Millennium Bridge - the world's first and only tilting bridge!

Designed by Wilkinson & Eyre Architects and Engineers and Gifford & Partners, the bridge takes its place at the end of a line of distinguished bridges across the River Tyne, including the Tyne Bridge and Robert Stephenson's High Level Bridge.

Linking Gateshead with Newcastle via Gateshead Quays and Newcastle’s Quayside, the bridge not only serves a functional purpose as the River Tyne’s only foot and cycle bridge, but its grace and engineering attract people from all over the world.

LaFoto is right about no.4 it's not reflections but the inside of the building through the glass front.
Some facts from The Sage Gateshead regarding construction.

The spectacular curved steel roof, which weighs in at 750 tonnes, is made from 3,000 stainless steel panels and 250 glass panels. If the roof were laid flat, its 12,000 square metre area would be big enough to accommodate two football pitches.

* most of the 3,858 tonnes of steel is hidden from view in the foundations and reinforcing the walls and floors?
* more than 1,100 concrete and steel piles have been drilled into the ground to support the massive structure?
* more than 18,000 cubic metres of concrete has been poured into the foundations of the building - that concrete could fill 23 competition-size swimming pools, make almost 5 million foot-square paving slabs - enough concrete flags to build a path 800 miles long from St James' Park, Newcastle, to the San Siro Stadium in Milan - and still have enough left to pave over the pitch six times?
HTH.
Thank again for the comments.
Ken.

wow, i love all of them, great colors! I can't believe you hand held these too, very impressive, especially without IS!

Number 4 is absolutely gorgeous. Great capture. This is a fab series. Most impressive!

Agreed, great color! Did you alter these pictures in any way; color saturation, etc? The resolution is obviously quite high... well done.

Oops I told a lie.....No.4 was taken with the 50mm 1.8 @ f4, 1/15 sec and Iso 400. All the rest taken with the Sigma 28-70 @ f2.8 Iso 400.
nakedyak said:
wow, i love all of them, great colors! I can't believe you hand held these too, very impressive, especially without IS!
I had my tripod with me but just too much hassle to use it, didn't really think I'd end up with anything really. That's why I must go back and re-take them, knowing I can improve on these using a tripod.......
dirty1thirdee said:
What camera body do you have?
I use a Canon 350d....
bjames said:
Did you alter these pictures in any way; color saturation, etc?
I used a steep curve for the colour, a little shadow/highlight then levels and sharpened.
Thanks very much for all the comments.
Ken.

The number 4 is fantastic really original

Most reactions

Back