Millstream

A Johnny come lately on this thread but the three edits I am presenting are more for me, than you, Sharon as I live in a no snow (rarely) area of the world. In fact, when it starts dropping below 50, I start looking for warmer climes. To that end, while I appreciate snow scenes as these, I have no visual reference to how the radiance actually feels/looks, but what struck me in all three shots was (my perception, mind you) a lack of sharp contrast. I feel like in these scenes I need something that puts the scene directly in my visual acuity, not such a scene as I would see looking out the window of a passing car; nice, but let's see what's down the road a bit.

I see you pretty much exposed correctly for the amount of reflective light, though I think another stop or half stop down would have likely gotten you the added contrast I feel is missing. I used three different methods to add contrast, all in Tony Kuyper's actions: Lights triple play on #1, Clarity #2, and Color Luminosity/Contrast on #3.

Attachments

• shar3.jpg
    shar3.jpg
    885.7 KB · Views: 10
  • sharon 1.jpg
    sharon 1.jpg
    897 KB · Views: 9
  • sharon 2.jpg
    sharon 2.jpg
    815.3 KB · Views: 10
A very interesting location and nice photography. I really like the first image. The only thing which was that caught my eye is the AC unit, but there's nothing you can really do about that, now is there? :) I hope you get to revisit this place often at different times of the year.
Thank you. Yes it’s too bad about that ac unit. I considered cropping it out but I would lose too much of the curve of the water and the tree.

Very nice set. I like the exposure in the first one. It makes the stream almost appear as if it's frozen.
Thank you. I used a negative dehaze brush in Lightroom on the water to lighten it and give it that frosted look.

@bulldurham You have a good eye to catch that BD. But it wasn’t an oversight, just artistic license. I purposely messed with the contrast in these to soften them and emphasize the snow - I. Some I changed the blacks and in others I used a negative dehaze to add some white.

Nice edits, just not the look I was going for.

Those are great! No favorite as they're all very nice captures..
I cannot believe the owner is so generous. You know allowing the public can quickly get out if hand.
Good for them..
Nancy

Those are great! No favorite as they're all very nice captures..
I cannot believe the owner is so generous. You know allowing the public can quickly get out if hand.
Good for them..
Nancy
It’s a historic building and may have been a condition of the sale? I’m not sure. I know they’ve done a lot of work. It was not in good shape a few years ago.

Number 2 nominated POTM

Most reactions

New Topics

Back