Mini Speed Graphic 2x3 Graflok conversion?

WilliamK1974

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good afternoon,

A couple of days ago, I "accidentally" won an ebay auction for a Mini Speed Graphic 2x3 camera. I made a low offer, and much to my surprise, the seller accepted it.

Now, the camera was being sold as having a "Grafloc" back in its item description. A bit of further research on my part shows that the auction pics look more like the Graphic spring back that these cameras came with originally.

I would like to convert it to a Graflok back in order to use one of the roll film attachments, but I'm not sure what parts to get for this. I plan on keeping all of the parts so everything could be sold on to a new owner if I ever sold it.

Has anyone done this, and might you have any before and after pics of the job?

Thank you,
-William

I think there were third party conversion kits, not a full Graflok back but a different spring system allowing a focus screen and roll film holders to be slid into place.

My 6x7 Busch Pressman came with a similar conversion, at the time it had no focus screen.frame.

Ian

There were 3 kinds of backs for these cameras: Graflex, Graphic and Graflok.

Without the Graflok back (or at least the original Graflex back) these cameras aren't very useful these days due to scant 2x3 sheet film selection, which is probably why your low offer was accepted. They are hard to sell.

If it was incorrectly described as having a Graflok back then I would return it as that is a major not-as-described issue.

Last edited:
Graflex backs on Speed Graphics were non standard and to special order, the US Navy preferred them thse take slotted film or platt DDS holders. Last year I had to restore a Pacemaker Speed Graphic for someone it had a Graflex back the US ebay seller hadn't stated it wasn't a standard back, in fact when I took the back off it was obvious he'd deliberately swapped the back at some point. Pacemaker Spring (Graphic) and Graflok backs have an extra screw hidden under the focus screen holder and the screw hole was damaged showing the screw had been pulled out.

Sellers aren't always honest.

I was correct Graflex made a conversion spring kit see here. The link talks about various ways to convert to use a roll film back. I've made my own Graflok back a couple of years ago for a home made camera it's not difficult.

Ian

I managed to win an auction for an MSG with a Graflok back being sold for parts only. Paid about the same amount for it as I did for the first one. It'll be interesting to see what's wrong with it when it gets here. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it just needs some careful cleaning and exercise.

Most reactions

Back