Mini Speed Graphic restoration ...

Now isn't that pretty.

I've serviced a few Speed Graphics and MPP MicrPress cameras it's not difficult, it's quite logical.
Ian

Hmm, just took a quick stab at taking some things apart ... and you are right it is quite logical ... except for the spring loaded roller (I think this could be dangerous) ... and all the crusty stuff I had to scrape off.
I got the focal plane shutter moving faster, but I think I will need to get deep in there ... mucho crusto.

I should have photographed my steps, I can't remember off hand exactly what I did. the first Speed Graphic I restored was a pre-Anniversary in very poor condition.

sp_g_body.jpg

sp_g_bits2.jpg

sp_g_bits.JPG

sp003-sm.jpg

I learnt he hard way but it was more time than anything else.

Ian

If you take a look at the image of the mini Speed I posted you will notice that it has a lot of brown "dirt" and corrosion all over much of the metal parts ... that is cigarette/cigar smoke tar, which has taken me four days to rub off.

If you take a look at the image of the mini Speed I posted you will notice that it has a lot of brown "dirt" and corrosion all over much of the metal parts ... that is cigarette/cigar smoke tar, which has taken me four days to rub off.

"Ewwww".

Hey, back in the old'n days we ALL smoked and we did it everywhere, all the time ... good thing we don't do that anymore.

"Ewwww".

Ok, no more tar.
Focal plane shutter is now running at normal speed.
Lots of cleaning.

Mini Speed Graphic
by Dennis, on Flickr

Last edited:
I need to get some small wood screws as some of the holes have enlarged because of usage of the side handle strap. Have to restore the original carrying case/box (some sewing needed). Just noticed that the wooden film holders also need a cleaning ... there is also tar on the ends (handle) of the dark slides. Not sure if I want to hunt down a replacement part for the viewfinder mask that is missing.

With my Crown and Super Graphics I just use the wire frame finder and rear sight when shooting hand held it's never been a problem and compensates for different lenses and even front tilt although that's not present on your camera.

Ian

Most reactions

Back