Minolta Camera questions

iiinycboi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I wanted to learn film photograph and i have a nikon fg-20 given to me to learn. I met a guy who saw me using it and asked me why i am using a old camera and we had a chat. Anyways, then he just said here since you like photography, here's a box of stuff i dont use anymore.

So i was given a box of minolta cameras and lenses, not really sure which to use or how they compare to each other. I am a beginner to photograph and want to learn more. Now, i have a box of cameras i'm not sure which to use to learn manual film...

Here are the contents, I'm a young guy so these cameras were before my time and i've only googled a few of them and only know what features they have but does anyone have any history or which is prosumer and which is considered amateur?

And if i can use the flashes interchangeably? I know the mount changed from MD to A so some of the lens dont fit.

Minolta XE-7
Minolta X-570 w/ motor drive 1
Minolta 8000i
Minolta 7xi

tamron ld 200-400mm 5.6
Minolta 20mm 2.8
Minolta 80-200mm 3.5-4.5 af
Minolta 50mm 2.8 af
Minolta 200-300
Vivitar Lx-1
Maxum AF macro 50mm 2.8

Minolta Auto360FX
Minolta Maxxum 3500xi
Minolta Maxxum 5400xi

a bunch of flash accessories and lenses and memory card looking things. there are a few viewfinders as well.

Which one should i pick up to practice and learn more about film photography?

I like taking pictures of people emotions (candid) Animals/Car fast motion photos.

I would suggest you use them all ... why not, since you have them.
Start with the oldest looking one and move to a newer ... then settle on one primary.

That's a nice box of stuff to get for nothing.
The only one of those cameras that I've ever used was the XE-7(around 1974 I'd guess) and it was a damn fine machine.
I could be wrong,but i remember my father telling me that Leica actually had something to do with developing it.

P.S.You didn't get a light meter in that box too did you?

Start with one of the Maxxum autofocus bodies, and forget the older manual focus stuff. WOW--some NICE gear you've had dropped on you! Really, some wonderful items.
Those memory-card-like things were the programmed automation cards that Minolta developed for their early AF cameras. The card were inserted into the camera, and changed the programmed automation to "optimize" it for certain types of shooting scenarios.

In my opinion, MInolta was the leader in early autofocus cameras and lenses, well ahead of Canon and Nikon.

Oh yes, there was a light meter in there as well.

The big long zoom only fits on the maxxum body, i guess they change the mount throughout the years?

I'm into sports and fast motion animals photography, so i guess i'll try out the tamron plus 8000? But i hear color film is like 4 dollars to develop.

I think the person who gave me the stuff said he use to be a journalist for a magazine, not sure which one.

But i hear color film is like 4 dollars to develop.

Probably more. Here in the UK it s £4 to £8 (I think thats about 6-12 $USD) in a cheap pharmacy for small prints (10-15 to send it off to i.e. Ilford Labs), depending on how long you want to wait, and whether its 24 or 36 exp. If you get into it, shoot B&W and do it at home - I found i spend slightly less to develop (and scan) at home, and it comes out better quality.

Oh man, that 50mm f2.8 macro, while not fast, is fantastic. If you want a DSLR to go with it, it fits right on a Sony Alpha A-mount.

I wouldn't forget about the manual focus stuff. It's fun in its own right, and there was some terrific Rokkor glass made for the MD/MC mount.

Those "Memory Cards" were part of a system that allowed you to reprogram the camera. On each of those cards is a different setting map for the focus/etc, and you find the right program for the situation and put it in.

Oh yes, there was a light meter in there as well.

Very cool. Some of those older Minolta meters are well worth researching and learning how to use.
Good piece of equipment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back