Mirror Mirror

MTVision

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been in a photography slump lately. Seems all I've been doing is taking snapshots of my daughter and working on my final project for photography class. I was housesitting this last week so I had a lot of room and a bunch of free time so here are a few of my attempts at mirror reflections. CC is always welcome - love to know what I did wrong and what I can do to improve. Thanks for looking!

1. 1/200 f/3.5 ISO 100. On-camera speedlight bounced

2. 1/125 f3.5 ISO 100 and an on camera speedlight bounced

Wish I had used a smaller aperture so that the reflection would've been more in focus

3. 1/200 f/3.2 ISO 400. On camera speedlight bounced.

Last edited:
1. What the hamsters is that... nice mirror though - like the shot a lot!
2. A more extreme angle showing more of the cup would have been nice - and there is distortion on the left cup.
3. I like this shot a lot!

How exactly did you backdrop/light this?

tevo said:
2. A more extreme angle showing more of the cup would have been nice - and there is distortion on the left cup.

Thanks Tevo!
It's an elephant in the first one but it didn't work very well!

The distortion - are you taking about inside the cup? D

The last one is my favorite! I have more shots of different teapots. The person I was housesitting for collects teapots!

I found a website that gave me the idea to do this. I found a pretty big rectangular mirror with no frame and laid it flat on a table. The website said to use some kind of black foamboard or something like that. Anyways I just bought some black fabric and hung it behind the table. The website diagram had the black background and black on both sides as well. It probably would've world better that way but I had no way to do it.

I tried using my external flash shot through a white umbrella but it kept lighting the background up too much and it was pretty thin fabric. I ended up putting the sb700 on camera and bouncing off the ceiling or the wall. Most didn't come out too great but it was my first try!

You don't have to use a flash though. If you do it when it's light outside you can set it up near a window and use a reflector if you need it! It's actually pretty easy and fun to do!

tevo said:

Thanks Tevo!
It's an elephant in the first one but it didn't work very well!

The distortion - are you taking about inside the cup? D

The last one is my favorite! I have more shots of different teapots. The person I was housesitting for collects teapots!

I found a website that gave me the idea to do this. I found a pretty big rectangular mirror with no frame and laid it flat on a table. The website said to use some kind of black foamboard or something like that. Anyways I just bought some black fabric and hung it behind the table. The website diagram had the black background and black on both sides as well. It probably would've world better that way but I had no way to do it.

I tried using my external flash shot through a white umbrella but it kept lighting the background up too much and it was pretty thin fabric. I ended up putting the sb700 on camera and bouncing off the ceiling or the wall. Most didn't come out too great but it was my first try!

You don't have to use a flash though. If you do it when it's light outside you can set it up near a window and use a reflector if you need it! It's actually pretty easy and fun to do!

Yeah, after looking at it for a while I saw the elephant. As for the second one, what I think is the reflection looks out of focus - almost motion blurred.

Do you have a link to that website? Sounds like a good read. And I figured you used some sort of black backdrop :pP Great job!

I like the teacups, and I really like the distortion, it's kind of a "what's going on" kind of image. I like the imperfection. Awesome job on the exposure.

unpopular said:
I like the teacups, and I really like the distortion, it's kind of a "what's going on" kind of image. I like the imperfection. Awesome job on the exposure.

Thanks! It took me a few tries to get them to look good in camera! I didn't do much editing on them besides setting the black point!

^^ though, the initial reaction I had was "BOOBIES!"

Does that make me a pervert? :)

unpopular said:
^^ though, the initial reaction I had was "BOOBIES!"

Does that make me a pervert? :)

Okay now... let's be appropriate :sexywink:

Most reactions

Back