Mirror Portrait C&C Welcomed

Tropicalmemories

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Revisited an image from last year that I thought had potential, but didn't quite work in color.

Not sure if this conversion helps? I like the idea of mirror reflection images, and tried a different angle in the hotel shots last month, but it's not easy to light. This one had a white umbrella with LED ringlight next to the camera.

The background and mirror surround may be a bit 'messy'? We've recently moved house, so now have a different dresser, so no chance of a reshoot, but would still appreciate feedback as I want to try again with the full length mirrored wardrobe in our new place.

20200802-2019_0407_23171600_20200731011331790_20200802000723178 (2).jpg

I like the black/white conversion. The center subject stands out because it is brighter, but I would darken the subject on the right to balance the darkness with the subject on the left. I don't like blurring in post, but maybe just a tad on the right subject. The clothing pattern looks great in black/white.

I love reflections, so much so that I wish there was one more mirror on the left to give us a frontal view. As presented the weight of the image seems off, being more to the left. Other then that, good job on the reflections, mirrors can be a real PITA for catching and reflecting stray light.

I like the black/white conversion. The center subject stands out because it is brighter, but I would darken the subject on the right to balance the darkness with the subject on the left. I don't like blurring in post, but maybe just a tad on the right subject. The clothing pattern looks great in black/white.

Thank you - I'll try darkening the right reflection. Not sure about artificial blur, will have a go.

I love reflections, so much so that I wish there was one more mirror on the left to give us a frontal view. As presented the weight of the image seems off, being more to the left. Other then that, good job on the reflections, mirrors can be a real PITA for catching and reflecting stray light.

Yes - I have one image with all three mirrors showing a reflection, but as you say, lighting is tricky and I could see the unbrella light in one :) Will see if I can edit it out. I was also surprised to see that in some shots the focus on the reflection was off - I think the mirrors need to be super-clean if using auto-focus.

Will try again with the full length mirrors and post in the new Critique Gallery.

I think the conversion works fine and always good to see a nice smile in these bizarre times.

I would burn down her shoulder by about one EV. Otherwise, all seems fine

Ah yes - now you highlight it, I see her shoulder is lighter than her face. The light was very close, so has lit her shoulder the most. Will have a go at that in post, and next time perhaps the light source needs to be larger and further back?

It's a nice shot, I really like the concept and I think the technical aspects of the shot you have suceeded.

However I do think it's lacking mood, and with an unremakable background here I don't see a narritive in the image. I think the idea has real potential, maybe a feew experiments with a snoot or other method to add some well placed shadow could really elivate this image.

It's a nice shot, I really like the concept and I think the technical aspects of the shot you have suceeded.

However I do think it's lacking mood, and with an unremakable background here I don't see a narritive in the image. I think the idea has real potential, maybe a feew experiments with a snoot or other method to add some well placed shadow could really elivate this image.

Thank you .... the new mirrors I plan to use will have an all white background, so that should help when trying more dramatic lighting.

Beautiful. My eye moves around the photo in a way I can't put into words, as if I was the subject observing herself. I can't exactly explain it, but I like it very much.

My one critique would be to slightly crop on the right side to remove the fourth sliver of a reflection.

My one critique would be to slightly crop on the right side to remove the fourth sliver of a reflection.

Ah yes. I didn't notice that before, now I can't help seeing it. :) The value of critique.

Most reactions

Back