Mirrorles Recommendation

knightg180

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I need a recommendation for a mirrorless camera and lense. I'm using it primarily to shoot videos for real estate projects, so I need it to be good for indoor/outdoor use. I do find myself in a lot of low light situations in some houses, so I need something that doesn't have that excessive over correction when sunlight enters the shot. I understand that has more to do with me controlling lighting and being conscious of environment, but nonetheless, I hope I'm making sense.

I don't shoot video ... But, (the big but), I've always heard that Panasonic's GH series usually are at the top or near the top for video regardless of format/sensor size. The latest and greatest is the GH4, but the GH3 is about half the price.

Again, I don't shoot video, but shooting in manual or with a manual lens would defeat any automatic aperture features employed by the camera.

I have a Sony a6000 thats really served me well for both video and stills. The downfall is the E-Mount lens system (not much selection), but you can pick up a converter if you have a different set of lenses. You could get a full system with the kit 16-50mm lens and another lens for about $1000.

As Ken Rockwell says "It performs pretty much as well as Sony's $3,200 A7R II for less than one-sixth the price." His full review here.

Other biggest downfall for me has been navigating the menu systems mid-shoot. If you're really getting specific with the settings, it can be a bit much. Shoots great auto raw on the fly though if need be ;)

Looking at the list from PropilotBW and your budget, the Sony RX100 might be a good choice...just under $1k, and you don't need to buy a lens. I mean, are you sure you need to be able to change out lenses? Because if not, that little camera is pretty awesome.

I am partial to the a6000 as well, since that might be what's waiting under the tree for me to replace my NEX-6. :) I think it's still on sale, body only, for $398, which means you could pair it with the 18-105mm f4 ($598), which is the zoom Sony designed specifically for video and still stay in your budget.

Looking at the list from PropilotBW and your budget, the Sony RX100 might be a good choice...just under $1k, and you don't need to buy a lens. I mean, are you sure you need to be able to change out lenses? Because if not, that little camera is pretty awesome.

I am partial to the a6000 as well, since that might be what's waiting under the tree for me to replace my NEX-6. :) I think it's still on sale, body only, for $398, which means you could pair it with the 18-105mm f4 ($598), which is the zoom Sony designed specifically for video and still stay in your budget.
I saw a few steals on the a6000 as well, I really like the reviews I've seen, plus I have a buddy who has one under the tree as well who's a professional so overcoming my learning curve from a technical point will be easier with that sort of help...

I have a Sony a6000 thats really served me well for both video and stills. The downfall is the E-Mount lens system (not much selection), but you can pick up a converter if you have a different set of lenses. You could get a full system with the kit 16-50mm lens and another lens for about $1000.

As Ken Rockwell says "It performs pretty much as well as Sony's $3,200 A7R II for less than one-sixth the price." His full review here.

Other biggest downfall for me has been navigating the menu systems mid-shoot. If you're really getting specific with the settings, it can be a bit much. Shoots great auto raw on the fly though if need be ;)
Thank you, I was hoping someone would bring up the a6000, I was already partial to it, but I didn't want to skew the data.

Some of my shots require fish eye lenses to capture very large rooms as well as rooms that may be hard to see around (like a small entry from a mudroom or a hallway or catwalk) You get some amazing effects once you remove the fisheye in post edit because you literally see more of the house at once and it translates to a much more realistic experience of the home. So the ability to change lenses is very important to me.

In that case, there are quite a few options for wide-angle lenses. The not-in-the-budget-but-worth-saving-for lenses are the 10-18mm zoom and of course, the Zeiss Touit 12mm. The ones you might be able to afford now are the 16mm or the Sigma 19mm 2.8.

I think I heard there was also a Rokinon 8mm, but I don't know what the price is on it.

Some of my shots require fish eye lenses to capture very large rooms as well as rooms that may be hard to see around (like a small entry from a mudroom or a hallway or catwalk) You get some amazing effects once you remove the fisheye in post edit because you literally see more of the house at once and it translates to a much more realistic experience of the home. So the ability to change lenses is very important to me.
It's much easier to walk round a house to see what it's like

Most reactions

Back