mirrorless cameras for HDR

bs0604

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone have experience using mirrorless cameras for HDR? I was considering getting a 4/3 Olympus OM E-5 (I think this is the name) and while it appears to be able to do bracketing I have read the relatively small sensor makes it poor for HDR. Alternatively I am considering a Fujifilm xpro1 or E1 but don't think they do bracketing unless you want to rotate the exposure compensation dial which would introduce vibration to the picutres.

I rented the OMD-EM5 a couple of months ago and tried some multi exposure for HDR purposes. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to carry my tripod due to back issues and relied on my monopod. But unfortunately again, I suffered from the shakes alot during my trip because of vast quantities of Jose, lack of sleep and being out of shape for the amount of hiking done. I was just off enough to not match the frames. The bracketing was amazingly fast, but I was attempting a 5 shot bracket and just, plain blew it.

I think the OMD-EM5 would do fine for HDR, even with the smaller sensor, if you got your base exposure correct in camera. I have the E-P3 and am quite happy with it. However, if I were in the market for my first m4/3 or upgrading from a lesser m4/3, the OMD EM5 would be a solid choice.

This is one of the base frames I took with the OMD-EM5.

Linn%20Cove%20Viaduct-XL.jpg

Keep in mind that the ratio of size difference between the sensor from m/43 to Cropped body is less than the difference from Cropped body to Full Frame body.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back