Mirrorless for vintage glass

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by MVPernula, Aug 7, 2018.

1. MVPernula

MVPernula TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello People!

I have apparently missed the fantastic discovery on mirrorless cameras ability to match vintage glass.
    Boy do I feel stupid, had I known this a year ago I would've grabbed an A7 instead of my current D800.

Anyhow, I'm looking for someone to trade systems with.. And that you can't really help me with (unless you'd like to trade).
    But you can however help me with finding a good and cheap alternative.
    Full frame would be the A7, but that's alot of money, and I don't have that atm.
    From what I've found the Sony Nex-5 was a gift sent from above for people who wanted to shoot with vintage glass back in 2014, but I assume much has changed since then.

I've looked at the old, yet newer than Sony Nex-5, Sony A5000 and Fujifilm XM-1.
    Both I'd be able to get for the exact same price. 1000kr(sek, swedish krona).
    I'm well aware that these are APS-c, and will have a crop factor of 1.5 and all that jazz.

But since I'm on a budget cuts will have to be made since, as mentioned, a full frame is out of budget.
    Or is it? Am I missing something glorious?

Help me out! :)

2. petrochemist

petrochemist TPF junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    Full frame is out of my budget, but I've picked up some affordable MFT bodies for playing with vintage (and other) glass.
    The FOV is quite different than most of the lenses were designed for, but they let me play with most options. I've used c-mount, OM, PK, M42, MD, FD, enlarger & projector lenses and even a few Nikon ones.
    My G5 was around £250 when I got it years ago and it still takes great photos, but I'm starting to get tempted to upgrade it for focus peaking & IBIS...
    There are adapters that include focal reducing optics that will recover much of the lost effects of the reduced sensor size. I use a MFT-EF version with subsequent EF-x adapter for many of my lenses, as well as adapters without the reducer, giving me 2 FOV options for each lens :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Yep, legacy lenses is a big mirrorless advantage. I upgraded from FF to APSC Fuji some years ago and I am very pleased with my current XT-2. You noted the XM-1 which was built around Fuji's X-Trans II sensor -- excellent cameras. I've linked below to an un-cropped full-res image from that sensor to give you an idea of what you'd be getting. The photo was taken with a legacy lens that was very easy to adapt to the Fuji body (60mm Rodagon enlarging lens).

Joe

Edith

4. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Fuji makes remarkably fine stuff. A bit pricey, but the primary controls on the body (no menu diving), build quality and excellent Fujinon lenses, for many of us, makes the investment worthwhile.

5. MVPernula

MVPernula TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh man that sounds fantastic!
    My mind was blown when the doors of mirrorless+old glass was presented to me.

Oh man that sharpness is fantastic!
    I'm looking into doing all of this becuase I have my fathers, mothers and gradfathers lenses just collecting dust!
    I have been DYING to put them on a camera.

The XM-1 I'm looking for I'll get for really cheap too, so you think it's a good deal?
    Should I go for it?

Well.. 1000sek isn't muck for a camera, especially not that fuji as far as I'm concerned.

6. MVPernula

MVPernula TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Bought the X-M1 with an adapter, waiting for both now!

• Like Like x 3