Mmmmmmm....Cookies!

Great photo, delicious looking cookies. We are having a cookie bake tonight with some friends. Your shot is inspiring!

ohhhh, and I just put on a pot of coffee

I started my baking today.. Recipe #1 is chocolate cookies with peppermint buttercream.

DSC_3113chocolat peppermint cookies copy by TamiAz, on Flickr

First, they look really scrumptious. I bet anyone who receives some is MOST appreciative.

Second, it's a nice photo. Let me offer a couple of suggestions in my humble perspective here.
--change the angle. I'd either get a little lower b/c right now the tip half of the cookie stack is in focus and your DoF is narrow enough that you get less focus as you get to the bottom cookie. Not that this is essential (a lot of food photography uses a relatively narrow DoF), it's that to the viewer, it may be mildly disconcerting that cookies that generally seem to be the same distance away as the top cookie aren't as sharp. Of, if you aren't going to get lower (so all cookies are about the same distance away), then get higher...about 45 degrees from the table. Those two angles (level, 45 degree angle...along with overhead) are kind of the traditional food shot perspectives that produce really pleasing results. Personally, I'd be interested to see both what the 45 degree angle and the overhead angle would produce...b/c your red twine would disappear into a blur.
--is there a different background you could shoot on? What you've got is certainly fine. But I think if you had a platter or tablecloth or placemats (or even mild wrapping paper) with a bit of green in it, it wouldn't match the dark brown cookies (the foreground looks brown and I don't think that works well) and it (something with a little green) would compliment the red in the peppermint shards (a VERY nice touch to have those next to the cookies btw) so beautifully.

Again, nice shot and very tasty looking holiday treats.

Most reactions

Back