mobile flash set up, what else do I need?

Foxtrot_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
So I just bought my Nissin Di622($139 w/ free shipping at buydig.com) to use as an off camera flash. I have a Canon 40D and from the reviews, I have read that the Nissin can be triggered by the pop flash from my camera, or the IR from a master, no pocket wizard.
I don’t have a master yet(baby steps, still saving for it). The plan is to use the nissin as a slave and get a canon used 480 EX II(about $250 at BH/Adorama) as a master instead of buying a whole bunch of strobe lights. What else do I need, I am not looking to go pro or something like that, I want to build little by little a home studio where I can do photo shoots and be mobile enough to take it where ever I want to.
I think I need to get a stand for the flash right? And do I have to get a soft box or umbrella too?
Any ideas will be helpful. Sorry for so many questions, I am a noob here.
Thanks.

Is that Di622 is a optical slave? (like it will flash when see other flash)
If that is the case, all you need to trigger by a on-camera flash.

I think for lower the cost, getting a cheap ebay radio trigger is better. You may not really need any TTL stuff at all. Especially for digital since you can see the result right away. I am using 3 Vivitar 285Hv flashes ($90 new, I bought them for $50 used) with a cheap radio trigger such as the Cactus.

Sorry, I do not know too much about the Nissin model.

Dao, I believe it is an optical slave. what kind of setup do you have? I am interested in your option since its low cost and seems to provide the alternative of mobility. How can I integrate my new nissin di622 to a setup like yours? I guess I could get an extra Vivitar 285Hv flash(I havent had luck finding one for $50 though). The radio triggers are like 37(PT-04 Wireless Remote Radio Flash Trigger 2 Receiver $37, free shipping from honk kong)
I am new at this so I am sorry for the stupid questions but how would I set up these two flashes(Nissin Di622 and the vivitar)?

Be careful how you use the terms 'master' & 'slave'...as they are referring to two different flash triggering systems.

If your Nissin has an optical slave trigger, it will go off when it senses an other flash, so you could use your on-camera flash to trigger it. One issue to overcome is the pre-flash. Normally, your camera's flash will use a preflash for metering....and that preflash would prematurely trigger the optical slave. Some units can be set to ignore a preflash, I don't know about your Nissin. Alternatively, if you could set your flash to manual, it won't use a preflash.

Now, the comfusion comes in when we talk about Canon's 'Master & Slave' system. In the Canon system, the 580EX (or 550 or ST-E2) can be a 'Master'. This master goes on the camera and can control remote 'Slave' flashes. (The 580/550 use light pulses, not IR...only the St-E2 uses IR). With this communication, you can have full E-TTL (auto flash metering) with the remote flashes...and a few other features as well. This system also requires compatible 'Slave' units. (580/550/430/420 and your Nissin I think).

Now, the problem with that system, is that the light pulses (or IR) are hard to receive when outdoors, especially in bright light. So it's not always consistently reliable.
That is why many of us use radio triggers, it's a much more reliable signal. The issue with that, is that most radio triggers are a simple 'fire' command only. So you don't get to use E-TTL metering or the other features of the Canon system. The flash power must be set manually. Most of us don't mind though. We still call this a 'Master & Slave' set up....but it's not really the same as Canon's Master & Slave settings on their flash units.

Most reactions

Back