Model Image...Her Name Is Rio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApertureF11Sniper

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Rio is a 16 yr old model I worked with from age 16 to 18. Her mother was a professional model and was even featured in Playboy......We drove 3 hours to get to this location and the plan was to stay the night sleeping in the car and shoot first light, that golden hour.........Well we get there, do some shooting and she starts telling me she has to be home and her dad will be mad etc etc.......We get in a big fight and I call her dad...... Her dad says he knows why she wants to come back, cause he had tickets to the Seattle Mariners game, box seats and he was taking a few of her friends.. He said no you guys drove all that way you stay and shoot...... I was sooooo mad I went back to the car and told her that I had talked to her dad....Told her we were shooting first thing in the morning and I got comfortable and drifted off to sleep.........Something woke me up........Something bright.....THE SUN......Damn it I forgot to set my alarm.......Wake up I shouted the sun!!!!........I ran to the back of the car and got the dress and told her to put it on quick as possible.......Then we ran around to the back side of a huge dune and I had her walk down the dune while I was back pedaling and taking pictures.......This is one of the images I got. First light is just amazing, truly the golden hour........(FYI I only upload low res web files for a number of reasons and my images are edited on CRT monitors again for a number of reasons so seeing them on your phone or laptop your not going to see them 100% accurately)

262a---nd-Shoot-151editedCweb2.jpg

As the mother of a young woman there is no way in hell I’d let her go anywhere alone, never mind overnight, with an adult male. I hope you had a chaperone along but it sounds like you didn’t. Isn’t that taking a risk to yourself and your own reputation?

It was no risk at all. We had done a number of shoots prior to this one......I am careful with who I work with just as her mother is careful with who she's around. She's more adult then many adults and not every male is a predator......Of greater concern is anyone that might come along. In two years we did 45 shoots 3 of which were road trips where we slept in the car, twice to these dunes.

It was no risk at all. We had done a number of shoots prior to this one......I am careful with who I work with just as her mother is careful with who she's around. She's more adult then many adults and not every male is a predator......Of greater concern is anyone that might come along. In two years we did 45 shoots 3 of which were road trips where we slept in the car, twice to these dunes.
"She's more adult than many adults . . . your honor." I think Sharon's advice was excellent. When I was a college prof. I loved my students and they loved me, judging by their evaluations. But I would never meet one of them in my office alone without the door being open. As a wise person once said, "You trust your mother, but you cut the cards."

Rio is a 16 yr old model I worked with from age 16 to 18. Her mother was a professional model and was even featured in Playboy......We drove 3 hours to get to this location and the plan was to stay the night sleeping in the car and shoot first light, that golden hour.........Well we get there, do some shooting and she starts telling me she has to be home and her dad will be mad etc etc.......We get in a big fight and I call her dad...... Her dad says he knows why she wants to come back, cause he had tickets to the Seattle Mariners game, box seats and he was taking a few of her friends.. He said no you guys drove all that way you stay and shoot...... I was sooooo mad I went back to the car and told her that I had talked to her dad....Told her we were shooting first thing in the morning and I got comfortable and drifted off to sleep.........Something woke me up........Something bright.....THE SUN......Damn it I forgot to set my alarm.......Wake up I shouted the sun!!!!........I ran to the back of the car and got the dress and told her to put it on quick as possible.......Then we ran around to the back side of a huge dune and I had her walk down the dune while I was back pedaling and taking pictures.......This is one of the images I got. First light is just amazing, truly the golden hour........(FYI I only upload low res web files for a number of reasons and my images are edited on CRT monitors again for a number of reasons so seeing them on your phone or laptop your not going to see them 100% accurately)

View attachment 263341
Nice light, but the crop doesn't work for me. I want to see her feet in the sand.

The thing with a critique is it's an opinion and a 12 different photographers would shoot it a dozen different ways. I do have a few with her feet in them, this is a much better image. Not saying your opinion does not matter, just not one that I share is all......

The thing with a critique is it's an opinion and a 12 different photographers would shoot it a dozen different ways. I do have a few with her feet in them, this is a much better image. Not saying your opinion does not matter, just not one that I share is all......
As Harry Truman always said, " 'If you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen'."

BTW, this isn't a petting zoo.

Last edited:
As Harry Truman always said, " 'If you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen'."

BTW, this isn't a petting zoo.
I don't think it's such a bad thing to disagree with critique when people are respectful about it, as OP has been. The photographer will learn from your point of view but that doesn't mean the person criticizing can't also learn from the photographer's point of view. You reacted similarly to someone else's point of view in your own thread recently, so I just don't understand why you're responding like this here.

Last edited:
Backstory aside, it's a good use of light, and I enjoy the leading lines. If I may offer some critique, I would suggest reducing the brightness of the highlight on the side of her midsection that's facing the light. It's much brighter than her face, and my eye goes straight to that when I feel it should be drawn to her gaze instead.

As the mother of a young woman there is no way in hell I’d let her go anywhere alone, never mind overnight, with an adult male. I hope you had a chaperone along but it sounds like you didn’t. Isn’t that taking a risk to yourself and your own reputation?

Spot on Sharon. No reputable photographer that I know would take a minor of either sex anywhere without an appropriate chaperone. I won't even let a minor in studio without a parent or legal guardian present. When shooting adult subjects of the opposite sex, DW is always on hand to assist and cover my back. This is a crazy world we live in, and any potential stain on my reputation from false accusations are unacceptable.

First, if she's under 16 she can't legally agree to anything. Any model release is going to require the signature of her parents. My policy is I don't shoot minors unless a parent is always present.

Second, love the light. Lesson learned--set an alarm. For sunrise shots (and I've done a bunch) you need to be up and ready BEFORE the sun hits.

Third, clone out the footprints in the background--they're distracting.

Finally, I agree about the crop and her feet. I suggest either including her feet. Or cropping higher up her body.

You do not need a model release from anyone of any age for images that are just for portfolio use. You only need a release for any commercial use of an image and if that's the case the model should be paid. For portfolio use you do not need a release.

I left the foot prints in intentionally, they show where shes been as a part of the over all story of the image.....Your looking at a image on a LED screen that was edited on a CRT monitor so its going to appear much brighter. And on the opinion of the crop as stated I disagree.

Another aspect of this and ANY image is we are so use now to looking at images on a screen which is not a correct viewing.... IMO images are best viewed as a large print at least 12 by 18 or 20 by 30....There's a lot of photographers who don't have any prints of their work at all.

Curious when
You do not need a model release from anyone of any age for images that are just for portfolio use. You only need a release for any commercial use of an image and if that's the case the model should be paid. For portfolio use you do not need a release.

I left the foot prints in intentionally, they show where shes been as a part of the over all story of the image.....Your looking at a image on a LED screen that was edited on a CRT monitor so its going to appear much brighter. And on the opinion of the crop as stated I disagree.

Another aspect of this and ANY image is we are so use now to looking at images on a screen which is not a correct viewing.... IMO images are best viewed as a large print at least 12 by 18 or 20 by 30....There's a lot of photographers who don't have any prints of their work at all.
The question is--whose portfolio? Commercial use is usually any commercial use, whether it's selling the print or using the image to promote yourself. Think you missed that part.

First, you are correct that you don't need a model release when you are using photos that are "public" (public setting or public figure) and non-commercial (ie: not entered in a gallery, not sold or stock, only for your own portfolio). But you're missing the point I made: a minor can't legally consent to anything. Even a TF shoot. You say you've shot with this model previously, the Mom is a former model. It's still wise to have the parent sign a release--that's just smart.

Last edited:
That's why they make vanilla, chocolate and strawberry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back