Model release.

delko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All...

im am doing a photoshoot with a friend from college....

So i was wondering do i need a model release.?
Im only doing portaits for a hobby and not professional....

So i wouldn't actualy post the photos percé.

She is doing it for free so I am a bit scared to give her a model release form to basicly sign of any right she have over the photos.

I might just put some nice ones on my ipad to show people whom might be wanting to use me for a shoot like a friend or so...

But then it will only be uploaded onto the ipads camera roll and not onto any website or server.

But then again if i want to put it on flickr i will still need that model release.

Please help me....

Sorry for the ignorance.

Just dont want to deal kindly with her so i dont scare her away....

Thanx

Anyone?

Any recommendations?

I looked at this a few times before coming to any definitive conclusion, and even then it may not be all that definitive. I would say that if you are in doubt, then get a model release - who knows, you may decide to use these images on a web or in a portfolio page at some point - if you have a model release, then you don't have to go and find her. Even if you do have one, you may not need it or use it. I would simply tell her that this is very common procedure, when "model" photo sessions are conducted.

You could, of course, make up your own model release that limits what you can do with the images, although you do own the images and have the copyright to the pics because you took them. Not sure if this helps any, but it is my 0.02¢ worth.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Here in the USA, model release law is state law, there are 50 states, so there are 50 slightly different versions.

WesternGuy is in Canada.

You're in South Africa. You need to check with someone that is familiar with the model release laws there in South Africa .

Here in the USA, model release law is state law, there are 50 states, so there are 50 slightly different versions.

WesternGuy is in Canada.

You're in South Africa. You need to check with someone that is familiar with the model release laws there in South Africa .

:thumbup: :thumbup:

WG

P.S. Keith, thanks for the info that in the US -- model release law is state law, there are 50 states, so there are 50 slightly different versions. A good thing to know for us non-residents.

It doesn't matter if you show them online or just show them to folks on your Ipad. You will be using them to promote/advertise your photography work. You should still have a release that says what your model gets and what you can do with the photos. It protects her just as much as it protects you.

Did you know there is a model release app for the Ipad? App Store - Easy Release - Model Release App You can even customize it to your own use.

Most reactions

Back