Model Slams Magazine for Photoshopping Her Body

So does that model "Zendaya" still get modeling jobs now ?

What I think is especially interesting is that the model in question is thin as a stick anyway and really wouldnt need any manipulation whatsoever.

Also ironically the manipulated picture made her actually look less attractive, since they made her hips smaller.

At least some of the other examples have been clear increases in commonly perceived beauty, such as removing wrinkles.

I don't think I'd categorize her as a model. That's likely the reason it got so much press. She is an actress/minor celebrity/singer/Disney channel star so not a professional model who is used to having her image changed like that.

[Parody]

Conversation with myself

I too am upset by this modelling thing.
I had always wished I was taller, younger, better shaped and more subjectively handsome but those seem like minor flaws compared to my inner beauty which shines through my eyes.

It is a shame that these young women are kidnapped from their homes and forced into servitude working for peanuts and then thrown away.
  • oops, my mistake, they actually signed up for this?
Well it is a shame that they earn so little compared to the male models.
  • Oh, they actually get paid a lot more than the men. Umm, sorry for my mistake, again.
Well they probably only get more because there are so few willing to be in that line of work.
  • There are thousands and they compete for the jobs
Certainly they deserve the pay because they get so much abuse from other women for buying into this horrible system.
  • Damn, wrong again. So while the models all enable this distorted view of womenhood by participing, they skate on the blame and its all the guys' fault.?
I have to admit, I think that's a bit unfair.
My neighbors have been the coordinators of a service that boards and finds home for grehounds. They enjoy it a lot.
I am thinking that I might provide a rescue and placement service for models.
I will buy a van, drive to New York and rescue the abused ones, then bring them back here and provide them a good home until I can place them with a kind family.
  • Oh, so I shouldn't treat them as if they were dumb animals. They have agency and are doing what they want and have the chance to make a great deal of money - and if I revile the entire system, I should be against them as willing participants.
Damn, Mencken was right. "For every complex question, there is an answer that is simple, clear and wrong."

[/Parody]

Another entry in the list of 'Life isn't Fair, Just or Even' facts.

upload_2015-10-23_11-25-26.png

From the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Another reason why my two personal heroes are the two women who made it through the Ranger training, doing something that I could probably not do in my best years.

I'm sick of it, but not for the same reasons you are.

What about it are you sick of?

You might be sorry you asked ;)

Leaving aside the issues of model contract or who has the right to retouch (because I'm kind of sick of this NOT being in the contract), I'll tell you what I'm sick of about all the underlying bull**** around this kind of story.

I'm sick of how much power photo editors have over the image of beauty being portrayed, which essentially gives them power over how so many young girls feel about themselves. Girls are developing eating disorders at younger and younger ages and spend their whole lives pinning their self-esteem to how thin they are and if they look like the pictures in the magazines.

I'm sick that women who already fit that standard still get photoshopped to be even thinner and even less realistic.

I'm sick of the idea that you can "never be skinny enough."

I'm sick of campaigns to get women to embrace our shapes and spend all this emotional energy on finding ways to feel beautiful, because ultimately, under all of that is STILL the message that feeling good about our appearances is the only way to have self-esteem or to value ourselves.

And I'm sick of how most of these campaigns come from companies like Dove or Special-K that put out commercials and articles and short internet "documentaries" and projects that tell us to forget about numbers or models, and just feel beautiful, but (*whisper*) oh yeah, you can't actually do that unless you have nice soft skin with Dove or unless you lose weight by eating nothing but crappy Special K foods for 2 meals a day because otherwise, how will you feel pretty?

I'm sick of how thin, beautiful women can spread the message about "embracing your curves" when they don't, in fact, have any, and they are lauded for spreading such an "important message," but when plus-sized women say the same thing, they get dismissed or criticized for "just wanting to stay fat." So women don't really have much say in the matter unless they already fit the standard.

I'm sick of models who try to defend the idea that photoshopping is going too far and who try to have some control over their image, but who are being met with dismissive remarks about how they have no right to complain and have no say in how they are portrayed. Once again, women are not being allowed to have a voice about their own bodies.

I'm sick of never hearing about this problem with male models. I even tried to google examples of it, and there are hardly any. There's the typical skin smoothing, because no one is allowed to get old and have wrinkles, of course, but there aren't any examples of editors changing the entire shape of the male model's body. There are plenty of examples, however, when the woman's entire body shape is altered.

And finally (oh there's more, but I'll stop here), I'm sick of knowing that somewhere, there is a theoretical man who would theoretically read this and roll his eyes, thinking I have no idea what I'm talking about, that I'm just whining and bitching, and that I'm just another unreasonable woman who's probably on the rag, because he feels that, as a man, he still knows better about what it's like to be a woman, and if I get upset, it's just because women are just sooooo emotional and don't want to face "the truth."

And I'm sick of not being able to punch that theoretical man in the throat.

And all of this might be annoying to me, but to others, it's downright dangerous when young girls and women buy into the image being portrayed and end up literally sick, and not just emotionally sick of the whole thing. Because sometimes the editor has to photoshop some flesh back ON the model:

2014-01-04-12-thumb.png

"Hardy, the editor at Cosmo, explains that she frequently re-touched models who were "frighteningly thin." Others have reported similar practices. Jane Druker, the editor of Healthy magazine -- which is sold in health food stores -- admitted retouching a cover girl who pitched up at a shoot looking "really thin and unwell." The editor of the top-selling health and fitness magazine in the U.S., Self, has admitted: "We retouch to make the models look bigger and healthier.""
You'll Be Shocked at What These Editors Are Editing Out of Their Photos

Please always feel free to speak your mind in my threads no matter how long of a response it may be. I am here to hear others opinions otherwise I wouldn't ever bother posting :)

The magazine is an online one, apparently. The editor of Modeliste has published a lengthy apology/statement piece, found here. EXCLUSIVE: Modeliste Official Full-Length Statement On Zendaya Photoshopped Images - RumorFix - The Anti Tabloid

No, wait, apparently Modeliste is both a print and an on-line magazine, according to the British Daily Mail...one of the best sources for celebrity gossip, and one of the least-trustworthy sources for real news...it's BOTH a gossipy rag, and also an organization that has the resources and incentives to really dig, and to dig FAST when pop-culture type news stories break.

The "magazine" published the leather jacket shot that was retouched....yet...the magazine has not been published, according to the editor...not yet released...and yet...Zendaya is shaming them and they "pulled the issue"...but the issue was not actually released...so...

Here is how Modeliste editor Amy McCabe began her statement: "In light of our not-yet-released November issue, with Modeliste’s Cover Girl, Zendaya and the swirling controversy in regards to any re-touched images, I am compelled to publicly address this situation which was brought to my attention yesterday, personally by Zendaya and her parents. Upon review of the final edited images which had been submitted to us by an independent editing company, together, as a collaboration between myself, Zendaya and her parents, we concluded that the images had been retouched to an extent that was not acceptable and not true to the values and ideals we represent and promote in our publication. I, therefore, made the executive decision to immediately pull the issue in order to have this rectified and have the images restored to their original, natural state which will reflect the true beauty and radiance of Zendaya."

This is looking more and more like a pubby stunt to me...at least based on the type of shoddy journalism PetaPixel and other web sites have dished up.

Last edited:
I wonder how much they paid her for this stunt?

What Lenny said. :icon_thumleft:

Besides that, the magazine doesn't seem to actually have an actual publishing company - it's distributed by Magzter (whatever that is) so doesn't seem to be a large or well known (or reputable?? who knows) magazine by any stretch (it's US based and who ever heard of it?).

According to the editor's response they got the photo from a 'third party' of some sort. The orangeish photo posted by Petapixel doesn't look quite like the Instagram photo that the magazine says is its original. By the time Petapixel reposts a photo that's been reposted already the quality sometimes has deteriorated.

I don't think it's fair to accuse the actress herself of using this incident in any way unless there's some evidence to support that. She probably has been photographed and interviewed a zillion times and I don't know how much control she would have in how she's portrayed.

Regardless of "what it is", the actions Zendaya took by posting the retouched photo of her right next to the original file of her have brought a large amount of publicity and attention and buzz to the photo set that Modeliste had done of her in Mexico. From what has been reported, and then from what the editor of Modeliste wrote, it seems like Zendaya was the instigator, the initiator, of the push-back against the Photoshopped images.

I just looked...Zendaya's Instagram account has 14 million followers, which is a pretty good-sized IG account. Zendaya has over TWICE the follower number of supermodel Candice Swanepoel, who has only 6.4 million followers. Zendaya is not really a "model", but is as has been mentioned a minor celebrity, one of the DIsney Channel's former stars, an actress and singer...and according to her official Facebook page, she lists herself as "actor/director" Zendaya

I forget who it was that said, "Any publicity is good publicity." This is really not unwelcome attention I think...one just cannot buy this type of publicity and buzz! In today's saturated media environment the only way to really attract a lot of notice is when something goes viral. As this did.

Once bought stay bought

Most reactions

Back