TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sandphotos.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
3199896040_6e01fbfc27_o.jpg

3199896042_1e436ab8d7_o.jpg

Finally hooked up with a model from Model Mayhem, Jazz. Did a couple headshots with a three light set up. Softboxes left and right and big octa behind camera. Let me know what you think, I can take it. But please if you don't like these or think they look like "snapshots", tell me how you would do it differently.

I think the background is a bit distracting...

I agree about the background. Also, I think her hair is much too dark. I know...her hair is dark...but I'd like to see some more light reflecting off of her hair...anything so that it's not a dark blob. You sort of have some accent light on her right side, but I'd try putting that light above her.

Now I'm kind of new to more professional portraits myself, but I think, as bdavis said, the background is a bit distracting. It's distracting in a way that my eye is drawn instantly to the background instead of the model where as the eye should be drawn to the model. I don't feel there's really much of a focal point here. Maybe if you had moved your model up a few steps from the background, you'd have the background more blurred. Also try different poses, different angles. What I find helpful is looking at other people's portraits, and trying to figure out how I could try something like that, but instead of trying to copy it exactly, I put my own style (or try to) into the photos.

And as with the comment above mine about the hair being too dark, these shots could benefit greatly from some highlights in the eyes.

Might just be my work monitor, but it seems that her lips are sharper than her eyes, mostly in picture #1. I would think that portraits would need to have the eyes as the sharpest element in the picture

I think the background is a bit distracting...

What would you use?

I agree about the background. Also, I think her hair is much too dark. I know...her hair is dark...but I'd like to see some more light reflecting off of her hair...anything so that it's not a dark blob. You sort of have some accent light on her right side, but I'd try putting that light above her.

My new monolights are pretty heavy and I haven't figured out how to get them into hairlight position yet. Tried using the side softboxes from slightly above but didn't quite get the top middle of her hair. Thanks Big Mike.

Now I'm kind of new to more professional portraits myself, but I think, as bdavis said, the background is a bit distracting. It's distracting in a way that my eye is drawn instantly to the background instead of the model where as the eye should be drawn to the model. I don't feel there's really much of a focal point here. Maybe if you had moved your model up a few steps from the background, you'd have the background more blurred. Also try different poses, different angles. What I find helpful is looking at other people's portraits, and trying to figure out how I could try something like that, but instead of trying to copy it exactly, I put my own style (or try to) into the photos.

And as with the comment above mine about the hair being too dark, these shots could benefit greatly from some highlights in the eyes.

Thanks amkphotography, I might try a clamshell set up next time.

Might just be my work monitor, but it seems that her lips are sharper than her eyes, mostly in picture #1. I would think that portraits would need to have the eyes as the sharpest element in the picture

Ya bigtwinky, I thought the eyes were a little soft too.

Most reactions

Back