Modifying AGFA PB20 Readyset - Questions

Rickytickitavvi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a vintage AGFA PB20 Readyset that I would like to start shooting with more...

I have shot one roll of 120 film in it already and had decent results. However, to load the roll of film into the camera, I had to re-roll the film and load it in total darkness.

The problem that I am facing is the spindles that the film is rolled onto.... When I bought the camera, it had a pair of Kodak 620 film spindles in it, metal ones. The camera is designed to shoot 120 film as well, but the plastic spindles on modern 120 film are too big and won't fit in the camera. It's been suggested to me that I just sand the flat ends of the 120 film spindles to fit in the camera but I fear that they would easily break, so I am looking to modify the camera. Are there parts from another camera that I could source to fit in it? Or should I create my own custom pieces to retrofit the camera?

Here are some photos that depict what I'm talking about....

New spindle on the left, Kodak 620 on the right.... You can see that the flat edges are much thinner on the 620 spindles.
DSC_4198 by Ricky Shull, on Flickr

The circumference of the flat edges is greater on the new spindles as well.
DSC_4199 by Ricky Shull, on Flickr

DSC_4204 by Ricky Shull, on Flickr

DSC_4205 by Ricky Shull, on Flickr

I appreciate any tips or suggestions greatly, thank you!

Why not make new spools? Some 28 ga body steel (available from any auto-parts supplier) and few inches of 3/32 (I think) diameter aluminum round stock, and a few basic hand tools would be all that's needed.

Why not make new spools? Some 28 ga body steel (available from any auto-parts supplier) and few inches of 3/32 (I think) diameter aluminum round stock, and a few basic hand tools would be all that's needed.

I want to load the film in as-is and shoot - I want to modify the camera to fit the plastic spools. I am currently having to unwind the film off of the plastic spools and rewind it on to the metal Kodak Spools that I already have (shown above). The Kodak Spools fit the camera but I do not want to have to go through the process of unwinding and rewinding in darkness.

Most reactions

Back