Mom needs a new point and shoot

marie1128

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My mom asked me what point and shoot to get. I have no idea, since I use my dslr (I should get a p&s sometime though).

Her only requirements are the it has fast autofocus (she doesn't realize that's what her problem is though, she just gets very annoyed that she has to wait for "something") and that its under 200 dollars. She would also like it to have a viewfinder but is okay with just the LCD screen if its very large...I'm thinking she'll probably want the viewfinder though.

Thank you!

I honestly couldn't even tell you about the latest point and shoot camera and definitely not any of the specs. The best thing to do would to just go to a local electronic or camera store and get hands on with the point and shoots there. That way you can test out the auto focus and prices there.

I would go with a Canon for sure. I really like the G16, but our S90/95/100 series has never let us down either. Wonderful camera

I would go with a Canon for sure. I really like the G16, but our S90/95/100 series has never let us down either. Wonderful camera
My Canon G15 has never let me down too but I agree the Canon S100/110/120 are also very good cameras.

Canon G16
None of the canons you guys propose is under $200. :lol: Bellow $200 I don't think there is any optical viewfinder available unless you switch to bridge cameras, but they are bulky. On pocket size p&s the screen is up to 3". Fast focus... good luck with that, I don't think you will find p&s made to shoot fast moving objects. For everything else they are OK.

I bought a Canon A1400 about a month or so ago, because it has a viewfinder, and it runs on AAs. It's great outdoors. Indoors, on Auto, it tends to select a higher ISO and a correspondingly faster shutter speed than my A480 did. I found that I had to use P mode and a tripod to get the results I wanted. If she doesn't mind a bit of grain on something like a flat wall surface, it's a good camera for the money, and not overly complicated. It also has a good grip to hang onto, due to the bulge to accommodate the batteries, and a non-slippery surface. It's rated Excellent by PCmag and Cnet. Nomad

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll need to look some up and see if I can maybe help her out a little (as a Christmas present or something...)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back