Monica....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApertureF11Sniper

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I met Monica She had just graduated with a degree in criminal justice and the goal of being in the F.B.I. We did several shoots together. This is from one.

86---th-Shoot-235editedweb2.jpg

Not so sure about the PP on this. Looks a tad overdone. There is quite heavy CA, particularly obvious around the arms.

Nice enough pose and as Jeff said, the eyes are indeed quite pretty.

Not so sure about the PP on this. Looks a tad overdone. There is quite heavy CA, particularly obvious around the arms.

Nice enough pose and as Jeff said, the eyes are indeed quite pretty.
CA? I actually didn't do much to this image. Thanks for the input though.

Chromatic Aberration.

The purple fringing you can see around the arms. Can have various causes. Worth a little research how and why it happens, how to prevent it or help eliminate it in PP.

You're welcome!

Chromatic Aberration.

The purple fringing you can see around the arms. Can have various causes. Worth a little research how and why it happens, how to prevent it or help eliminate it in PP.

You're welcome!
Not to make excuses mind you, as when typing the emotion or attitude is often set by the person reading what you wrote. So I edit and such all of my older stuff like this on a CRT monitor which is darker and it was not calibrated which I was told the only true calibration is with a physical optical tool like Spyder that attaches to the screen.....I edit with Photo Shop Elements Version #4 as I just do very basics. I don't want to create a good image I want to take it....I need to try Light Room my Nat Geo friend has been on me about that.....

I honestly do not see what you are talking about around the arms. This is a low res web file so I dont know if that matters.... Can you in a PM send me a screen shot of what your seeing? Though if I can't see it looking at it I don't know if a screen shot would show me any thing.

If any of this makes sense to you lol....

Not to make excuses mind you, as when typing the emotion or attitude is often set by the person reading what you wrote. So I edit and such all of my older stuff like this on a CRT monitor which is darker and it was not calibrated which I was told the only true calibration is with a physical optical tool like Spyder that attaches to the screen.....I edit with Photo Shop Elements Version #4 as I just do very basics. I don't want to create a good image I want to take it....I need to try Light Room my Nat Geo friend has been on me about that.....

I honestly do not see what you are talking about around the arms. This is a low res web file so I dont know if that matters.... Can you in a PM send me a screen shot of what your seeing? Though if I can't see it looking at it I don't know if a screen shot would show me any thing.

If any of this makes sense to you lol....
Didn't mean to cause you and angst mate. A screen shot is just going to show you what's already there. I'm viewing on a 32" screen and the image size is approx 9" x 14" so the aberration might not be as obvious on a smaller screen.

I see the CA fringing particularly evident along the tops of her (fore)arms, below her right arm and around her left elbow. Hope that helps😉

CA? I actually didn't do much to this image. Thanks for the input though

While you can get artifacts/imperfections in an image from editing,, such as off color halos or banding. CA is a a failure of the lens to focus colors to the same point and shows up along boundaries that separate light and dark areas. It can also vary based on lens focal length.

Early on you mentioned using a Pentax 18-55. According to Pentax reviews, that lens has noticeable CA at focal lebgths under 24mm.

Last edited:
As Smoke said, chromatic aberration is more a function of the lens in use. My Canon 75-300mm kit lens had a big issue with it. Some post processing software, like Light Room can compensate if the software recognizes the lens and has a profile that helps compensate.

Didn't mean to cause you and angst mate. A screen shot is just going to show you what's already there. I'm viewing on a 32" screen and the image size is approx 9" x 14" so the aberration might not be as obvious on a smaller screen.

I see the CA fringing particularly evident along the tops of her (fore)arms, below her right arm and around her left elbow. Hope that helps😉
No angst here, it's all good.... Appreciate your attempt to help me.

While you can get imperfections in an image from editing,, such as off color halos or banding. CA is a a failure of the lens to focus colors to the same point and shows up along boundaries that separate light and dark areas. It can also vary based on lens focal length.

Early on you mentioned using a Pentax 18-55. According to Pentax reviews, that lens has noticeable CA at focal lebgths under 24mm.
Ah.....Good memory and good to know Smoke, I now have or have had the 16-50 2.8 lens....That image is one of my early images so I know it was shot with that 18-55 lens.

Ah.....Good memory and good to know Smoke, I now have or have had the 16-50 2.8 lens....That image is one of my early images so I know it was shot with that 18-55 lens.

All lenses have some degree of CA some more than others. To minimize it, be familiar with your glass and know especially on a zoom, what focal length is the worst/best. Stopping down minimizes it as does keeping your subject centered in the frame. If you have an issue with CA stay away from High Contrast shots, and finally Light Room does a good job of fixing CA.

All lenses have some degree of CA some more than others. To minimize it, be familiar with your glass and know especially on a zoom, what focal length is the worst/best. Stopping down minimizes it as does keeping your subject centered in the frame. If you have an issue with CA stay away from High Contrast shots, and finally Light Room does a good job of fixing CA.
I am making it a point to get Light Room next week some time.

There you go. I've learned something here too. I knew lenses were a primary cause of CA but didn't know they were the only cause. Every day is a school day @smoke665 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back