Monitor looks horrible after calibration

eclipse13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, so feel free to move it if necessary.

I just calibrated my monitor with a Huey calibrator and everything looks really off. Black and white photos look like they are sepia. Any ideas on what I might have done wrong?

Did you zero/reset the monitor settings before you calibrated? If your monitor allows, did you set the correct color temp?

Sorry this isn't helping you specifically but FYI I have just calibrated for the first time with a Spyder and the results are outstanding.

Hope you get your sorted :(

Yah, I used a Spyder and mine is awesome too....Did you make sure to turn off your screen saver/energy saver deal? Also, you don't want any direct light hitting the monitor..Well at least for the spyder...I would say check the manual and try again. Here's a website that I had found and it gives different tests for your monitor/settings. See what happens.

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_black.htm

The huey is known to have this problem. I had a terrible time calibrating CRT monitors with it and saw much the same thing you did: sepia like color. It seems to work well with my LCDs however.

If you contact Pantone they will send you a replacement for free if it is really that bad. When I first calibrated my monitor with the Huey I thought it looked really brown/red as well but it was just because I was used to looking at a poorly calibrated monitor. Make some prints and then compare them to your monitor because that is ultimately what you calibrate your monitor for.

I unplugged it and did it over again. It still seemed a little reddish/brownish, but then I went and got dinner and when I came back it looks ok. I think deadeye might be right in that I was just used to looking at an uncalibrated monitor.

Thanks for the helps guys.

i dunno. i bought a pantone huey a while back, same thing happened to me. pretty much exactly how you described it. I thought, well maybe this is normal, but everythign just had a real brownish or reddish tint to it, so i ended up just selling it, figuring it may have been my computer or something...

I'm using a Proview PL2230WDBi 22" Wide Screen LCD. I know that it isn't the greatest, but I am required to have a laptop for college and I got tired of editing on a 15" monitor. I wanted a big screen and this was on sale so my parents got it for my birthday last year.

Most reactions

Back