monolight ouput wattage

rfernando

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking into purchasing a monolight kit to do some portrait photography. I'd like to know what is the ideal watts/second for a monolight. The one that I'm looking at is 100 watts/sec. Keep in mind that I'm on a tight budget so I'm wondering if 100 watts/sec is decent.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
How about bumping the ISO a stop or two?

That would work unless you're limited by ambient. Since ISO affects the exposure of any light hitting the sensor, you'll increase the exposure from the flash as well as the ambient. If you're shooting in conditions where you're already limited by a smaller aperture and the ambient light being too bright, then this will not suffice.

I'm looking into purchasing a monolight kit to do some portrait photography. I'd like to know what is the ideal watts/second for a monolight. The one that I'm looking at is 100 watts/sec. Keep in mind that I'm on a tight budget so I'm wondering if 100 watts/sec is decent.
It's Watt seconds (Ws), not Watt/seconds (W/s). And the Watts should always be capitalized.

If it was a mathematical equation (it is), it would be Watts X seconds, not Watts divided by seconds.

Not really critical information, but I see it written wrong so often, that I'm on a personal mission to correct people when I see it. :er:

It's Watt seconds (Ws), not Watt/seconds (W/s). And the Watts should always be capitalized.

If it was a mathematical equation (it is), it would be Watts X seconds, not Watts divided by seconds.

Not really critical information, but I see it written wrong so often, that I'm on a personal mission to correct people when I see it. :er:
:thumbup:. I edited my post so Watt is capitalized.

If you're going to do portraits don't forget a hair light. This cold be anything from a small optically triggered flash to a smallish silver reflector.

Here is a link you might enjoy..

Last edited by a moderator:
I own two Mettle 300c's, Mettle is the brand that manufactures the Flashpoints for Adorama. As an amateur, I have been very happy with these lights.

My own tests indicate that they produce more light than the Alienbees B400's according to Alienbees specifications.

I also would not recommend anything under 150ws, especially bargain brands as they tend to be under rated. I'd suggest 300ws.

The unit name 'watt' is not capitalised unless it is used at the beginning of a sentence. Not in SI and not in SI as used in the USA. This is a general rule for unit names, like newton, volt etc, with very few exceptions. The unit symbol (it's a symbol, not an abbreviation) is a capital W.

yeah. but come on, Helen. Give me some credit for my wattywhits!

Most reactions

Back