Monopod question

LINYBIMMER

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for monopod/head recommendations. The heaviest load I anticipate carrying is about 12 pounds. Gripped 5d3/Sigma 120-300 2.8. Shooting field sports. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jim

I use two similar weight lenses, a 300 and a 400, about the same total camera and lens weight. I use NO head on the monopod for soccer, track and field, or football. Buy a monopod that touches the ground, and holds the camera up at the right height for "Jim"!!!

I tried using a couple heads on my monopod and found out it adds too much weight and is cumbersome. For my kids sports the mobility of minimal weight from my Slik carbon fiber monopod is perfect. Adding a head makes it hard to stand up for those shots when you are moving and ppl are in the way, plus I never had time to adjust it for anything as you would miss the shot.

Same here. No head. The camera and lens were mounted directly to the monopod.

I was down on a knee with my butt on a Walkstool when I shot field sports.

Thanks all. So stated capacity of the monopod isn't a big deal? The model I currently use is rated at about 8 pounds. I hear you loud & clear on the head. Makes it cheaper!!

To me the question is "How many sections?" I prefer a beefy, super-strong, very simple TWO-section monopod...many others prefer a three-section 'pod like this one

Manfrotto 679B 3-Section Monopod, Black Anodized 679B

while people who want a small one to stow sometimes like the four-section models...the more sections, the more locks there are to open and close, and potentially have to repair or replace...the fewer the sections, the sturdier the rig is, in my opinion.

I have a Tec Pro 84 yes a cheaper brand but very strong . I paid like 50 dollars for it and its dam solid I attach direct to the monopod. Kelly tp84

Sorry I forgot to mention I did a lot of research lately and manfroto came out with a new monopod set up its the mvt 500 fluid head monopod runs about 300 the 500 head kicks ass for video but action shots are like video you are panning then shoot so the fluid head might be the answer. Im looking at it for my main tripod set up just different legs . kellyw

I like my Slik 350 screwed straight into the lens mount. Pretty basic, straight forward monopod that works well IMHO and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. A head would be too cumbersome.

I like my Slik 350 screwed straight into the lens mount. Pretty basic, straight forward monopod that works well IMHO and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. A head would be too cumbersome.

Quite a while back I had a pretty expensive monopod that wore out on me, at the time I was on a trip and really needed one so I stopped at a local camera shop and bought a cheap Canon monopod 500 that came equipped with a miniball head. I had a manfrotto quick release plate that I used on my old monopod, I like to have the ability to just snap the camera on and remove it quickly and easily. Strangely enough this cheap canon monopod has lasted me longer than most of the more expensive ones I've tried. It's light enough and sturdy enough and gets the job done nicely. I was also surprised to learn I actually liked having the minball head once I got accustomed to it, I do a lot of wildlife photography and it was nice to be able to pan and track a moving animal or bird easily. If I adjust the tension on the ball it becomes a nice steady platform, all I have to do is release the tension a bit and then I can pan the camera, rotate up and down, whatever I might need - makes for a great combination. Originally my plan was to just use this cheap one till I could get home and replace it with a "higher end" more expensive model. After using it for a bit I figured I'd wait until it wore out to replace it. I'm still waiting.. dang thing has held up a whole lot better than most of the really expensive models I've tried in the past.

I used a built like a tank, $45 Vanguard monopod I ordered through Walmart.com.

The users manual doesn't say what Vanguard model.

Most reactions

Back