Monopod time and questions

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot this Friday night at my first football game and took my used and CHEAP monopod with me. I used it for a little bit before having issues with it. I am possibly shooting another this Friday and will be shooting more Football soon.

My question is to sports shooters is do you use a monopod?

I am really looking at ordering a carbon fiber one in the next couple of days. Here is what I have been looking at and think that they will be good. What is the benefits/cons of a 5 section vs a 6 section monopod?

Does it make a difference about the snap lock or the twist lock?

Sirui P-326

Oben CTM-2500

Oben CTM-2400

Vanguard ABEO CM-324

I have Carbon Fiber 3 section monopod with twist locks
It's nice and light and the legs aren't too thin and don't flex.

I used it a bit in sports but I found it got in the way unless you are sitting in one spot alot. The "long thing" attached to your camera seems to get in the way sometimes while walking around.

I also directly screwed on to the monopod - no ball head or anything.
I don't use it anymore for sports. I just hold the camera and it if gets heavy I put the camera on the ground for a bit.

With my twist locks, you don't have to tighten it all the way and easily lengthen or shorten it without having to do much.. With the other lock it's either open or closed mostly.

The number of monopod sections isn't really important. You can have more sections and shorter leg segments or less and longer. For me, I prefer having fewer sections to manipulate.

I like twist locks, since you can loosen and tighten several sections at once. Snap locks are more tedious. There are some Chinese-made carbon fiber monopods which are light, sturdy and reasonably priced.

I don't shoot sport but, I have the sirui. It is really light and yet solidly built. I use mine for birds. I also bought a Gimbal head for it which I wouldn't recommend. I also prefer the twist locks. I can open and lock the monopod in about 5 seconds.

Thanks for all the input. After thinking about it and reviewing them again, I decided to order the Sirui carbon fiber. Ordered it tonight and should have it by Thursday for so if I get to shoot my next football game Friday night.

When you use it
Extend the lower segments fully before the top segment. It's easier for minor adjustments on the top section as you don't have to reach too far down as you move around.

I own the Oben 2400 works well no binding. It is nice and sturdy. I have used it for a number of situations and would buy again

The down side to more leg segments is that the bottom segment(s) which are supporting all the weight, can be rather thin and spindly in 5 and 6 section monopods. I have a fairly sturdy, old, Manfrotto aluminum 3 section which works equally well for holding heavy glass or beating would-be attackers.

I have a Vanguard ABEO AM-364, it has flip locks. It has worked great for me, nice and sturdy with a good 10 lbs of gear on top. After I set up at a game I rarely adjust, but as astro mentioned use the top section for adjusting. And I do use a clamp and quick connect plate, same Vanguard system as my tripod.

I use a heavy-duty Bogen/Manfrotto aluminum 2-section with twist lock. Because it's just two sections, it's not especially compact, but it's almost 30 years old and as good as new. I do not use any kind of a head on it. I use it mostly with my 200, 300,or 400 on it because I cannot hold those things up for more than a few minutes. Mine has just the one, single twist-lock knob right in the middle...it works for me. In marginal lower light, I will occasionally use it with my 80-200 when the speeds are slow, and I think it gives me about three full stops' worth of assist.

and don't try to take a portrait shot with the monopod attached ... you could seriously whack someone lol

No fan of off-brand tripods/monopods. Have the earlier version of the Manfrotto 681 that's bomb-proof. Would strongly advise against more than 2 locks that compromise rigidity the least. The marginal CF weight advantage really isn't worth the added cost with a monopod. Check out the Manfrotto flip head and this monopod model:

Manfrotto 681B Heavy Duty Pro Monopod 681B B&H Photo Video

One thing you may want is a monopod head. I've found that your movements can be rather stiff with JUST the monopod tied to your lens. If I shot sports more I'd invest in one.

Jake

Most reactions

New Topics

Back