Montreal Scenes

pgriz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Despite it being December, we still haven't had any "real" snow or very cold temperatures. I decided to see if I could catch the sunrise. The morning dawn was suitably dramatic.

PredawnMontrealSkyline_2769_v2.jpg

Unfortunately, the actual sunrise was less successful, but perhaps that was due to poor lens/exposure selection on my part.

Since it was a while since I was in Old Montreal, I wandered over there to see what there was to see. Very quiet on a Sunday morning, when it's below freezing. A few shots while there...

This one was on Rue de la Commune, which borders the Old Port area.
GoldenHour_OldMontreal_2852_v2.jpg

Pointe à Calliere is a museum showing some of the oldest artifacts from the New World. This is a view of Rue de la Commune from the steps of the museum. The sculpture at right is.... two faces...
GoldenHour_PointeaCallieres_2857_v2.jpg

A bit further up the Rue de la Commune, I saw an interesting interplay of shadows, old and new.
Goldenhour_OldMontreal_2860_v3.jpg

CC appreciated. Thanks for looking.

@ andrewleephoto: I considered that, and took a number of bracketed exposures, but the one that conveyed the feeling of darkness was the one I posted. From a technical point of view, the dynamic range of the scene exceeded that of the camera, and allowing more light on the darker parts of the image would have blown the sky. I also tried a graduated neutral density filter but in the end, after comparing the various shots, I felt that the one posted was the "best" of the bunch that I had. Thank you for looking and commenting.

Nice pictures. I went there for the first time last at the end of Jan... it's cold there!
"Old Montreal" is a neat place!

Nice pictures. I went there for the first time last at the end of Jan... it's cold there!
"Old Montreal" is a neat place!

Yeah, it can be. I'd say best times to visit are during the summer festival season (July/August) if you like lots of activity. "Old Montreal" area around Place Jacques Cartier is a bit of a tourist trap, although the rehabilitated port area is very popular with both tourists and residents. The unfortunate thing is that this year almost all the major thoroughfares and bridges were undergoing emergency roadwork and repair, and the most common sight was the orange traffic cone. This isn't going to change anytime soon as the amount of crumbling infrastructure is staggering. This is partly due to the rushed constructions for Expo 67 and the Olympics of 76, partly due to the diversion of funds for "sexy" projects and partly due to incompetence and idiocy on the part of the elected officials and the bureaucracy that was supposed to be working for the common man. However, I don't think we have a monopoly on that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back