Moon shot - IQ limit reached for equipment/locaton?

Archer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Progress on the moon shooting front. Managed to do better in 6 shots tonight than 40+ the other night. Would have experimented more but the clouds rolled in. I think I may be at the IQ limit of my location/equipment for the moon: Large metro area (Dallas/light pollution), 6mp D40 w/55-300.

DSC_0160.JPG

300mm, f8, 1/125, iso 200

Tripod and remote shutter release. JPEG tweaked slightly in Picasa (still trying to figure out GIMP).

Or should I be able to get better?

Last edited:
Can't tell what kind of quality you have in this, the image size posted is too small to see what kind of details you have in it.

Fixed it I think

There is some slight motion blur, most likely because of the camera moving slightly from the faintest breeze and not from the moon itself (it does move pretty quickly, but 1/125 sec should be adequate). At 300mm even the slightest vibrations can cause motion blur.

There is some slight motion blur, most likely because of the camera moving slightly from the faintest breeze and not from the moon itself (it does move pretty quickly, but 1/125 sec should be adequate). At 300mm even the slightest vibrations can cause motion blur.

I have been amazed at how fast it moves viewing it at 300mm. I'll try weighing my (cheap) tripod down. Also, haven't figured out my mirror lock. Maybe that would help.

A good, solid tripod would be an immense improvement if you either don't have a 'pod or have a cheap one.

KmH said:
If you're still using the D40 listed in your profile, you don't have a mirror lockup mode that can be used for making photos.

Ahh - Makes sense now. I would lock it then couldn't do anything else until I turned the camera off and back on.

There seems to be what looks like a bit of motion blur in there? Not sure if it's the mirror or what, but it really looks like a vibration or something?
I'd expect cleaner, but perhaps? I'd probably actually have to play with the camera and lens to get a really good answer for you on this one.

Is it a or wireless remote? If it is wired that could be causing some of the motion blur as well. When I have done moon shots it would take my camera quite awhile to stop shaking after touching it, focusing or which ever.

I have been amazed at how fast it moves viewing it at 300mm. I'll try weighing my (cheap) tripod down. Also, haven't figured out my mirror lock. Maybe that would help.

You should see how fast it is at 1,000mm with live view at full magnifiation.:lol:

KmH said:
If you're still using the D40 listed in your profile, you don't have a mirror lockup mode that can be used for making photos.

Ahh - Makes sense now. I would lock it then couldn't do anything else until I turned the camera off and back on.

How does one perform a mirror lock-up with a camera that does not have a mirror lock-up function?

You should see how fast it is at 1,000mm with live view at full magnifiation.:lol:

2000mm is really fun!

Canuk said:
Is it a or wireless remote? If it is wired that could be causing some of the motion blur as well. When I have done moon shots it would take my camera quite awhile to stop shaking after touching it, focusing or which ever.

Wireless. I'll try waiting longer between shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back