Moon Shots

Thanks guys! You guys helped alot and I think it paid off? Also my remote shutter release came just in time (today)!

Here's what I have: f/5.6 - 1/200s - ISO: 100 @ 300MM (Yeah it's not as clear as your L lens Rob!)

Moon.jpg

Thanks guys! You guys helped alot and I think it paid off? Also my remote shutter release came just in time (today)!

Here's what I have: f/5.6 - 1/200s - ISO: 100 @ 300MM (Yeah it's not as clear as your L lens Rob!)

Moon.jpg
Not bad though man, and also bear in mind I also used a 1.4x teleconverter so it allows the extra reach too.

I adjusted your one just on the low res from above, from raw you should be able to pull a fair amount of detail out.

rf1higmc.jpg

Also I dont know what lens you used, but I assuming 300mm at f/5.6 is wide open? stop it down to 7 or 8 and adjust your exposure time to compensate and you may find the sharpness will increase, most lenses are not at their sharpest at their widest setting.

Thanks! I used the 75-300mm IS It was the first IS lens Canon came out with. Its not made by them anymore, but I think it was replaced with 70-300mm IS?

As for RAW, it's all new to me, I will play with it some more and learn more about it. I think I can get more out of it through PP after my pics are taken. (On a side note, I can't see my RAW files as thumbnails which kindda sux)

(On a side note, I can't see my RAW files as thumbnails which kindda sux)

I am running windows 7 64bit, and I cant see the raw thumbs in windows explorer and as fas as I am aware there is no workaround? Doesnt really matter because when I need to see them I am usually in adobe bridge and I can see them.

You should have Digital Photo Professional and that will allow you to see the thumbs and also do some pretty awesome things with your raw files!!!! Learn it!!! Its free.

I was using it until I got CS5 and Adobe Camera Raw, CS5 and ACR is better if you know what you are doing, DPP however is pretty good and an excellent place to start. Tutorials on youtube would be a good place to start.

I dont think I have ever "published" a shot that has not had some form of PP, think of RAW like a main meal, not all of it needs to be cooked (PP), but most of the time the meal will benefit from some cooking and "seasoning" to bring out the best flavours, colours textures etc, sometimes its just really little subtle things, and other times its more complex.

Last edited:
Thanks! I will check out DPP! :thumbup:

Yeah no workaround yet unless you want to use 32 bit....but I'm sure it'll come soon.
I did DL something from canon which allows me to preview CR2 files, but no thumbnails

EDIT: I found DPP in the CD that came with the camera. Installing now

Last edited:
I didn't realize this was going to be a show me yours kinda thread. The full moon is hard to get. I prefer partials myself.

Very nice shots, and I can't help but get in on the action. I took the shot below several years ago with my Canon G3 paired to my Celestron 4.5" Newtonian telescope. After seeing this thread I was inspired to go back to that shot and tweak the levels a bit using the knowledge I've gained since then. There's a lot of CA and some motion blur (from the Earth, not from the camera!) but overall I was really happy with this shot.

I'd love to try it again someday, with my DSLR and a new telescope with a motorized mount that could reduce the motion blur.

Waning%20Half%20Moon.2010%20edit.jpg

These images are all that is taken by the camera looks very interesting and enjoyable. I like all the photos and I realized that all the photos you are given a very good result and it is so clear. Which camera are you using?

If you are using Vista or older windows systems then you can set you files up as thumbnails at various sizes. Open your window that shows your files then select view at the top, this drop down menu will allow you to change to thumbnails from list view and enlarge them as needed, and yes windows will view RAW files. You dont need a special program to view thumbnails.
Im suprised that windows 7 doesnt allow this.

If you are using Vista or older windows systems then you can set you files up as thumbnails at various sizes. Open your window that shows your files then select view at the top, this drop down menu will allow you to change to thumbnails from list view and enlarge them as needed, and yes windows will view RAW files. You dont need a special program to view thumbnails.
Im suprised that windows 7 doesnt allow this.

Win 7 32 bit does from what I heard. But its ok I just installed DPP from my canon cd and it works just fine now :)

These images are all that is taken by the camera looks very interesting and enjoyable. I like all the photos and I realized that all the photos you are given a very good result and it is so clear. Which camera are you using?

I'm using Canon T1i (500D)

I very rarely use a tripod when shooting the moon. My longest focal length is 200mm (on my 70-200mm f/4L IS) and at that length and around the same shutter speed the IS is actually quite capable.

4634538102_85f76b6250_b.jpg

Most reactions

Back