What's new

MORE CRAYON SHOTS! C&C

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
680
Reaction score
4
Location
New Jersey
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
4292568880_245656979d_b.jpg


4292567808_2eb5b77c0c_b.jpg


4291826435_2538ddd59d_b.jpg


I couldn't get the crayon to come out sharp. I was shooting at the long end of the lens which my guess is softer.
 
I don't see what your going for in the first 2, seem a little over processed for me, 3rd one is clean... Oh and as a Sign Maker/Commercial Graphic Artist papyrus is a tired font (just my opinion).

ALIAS
(Rookie)
 
the first 2 just seem pointless, way to photoshopped. and the 3rd one is kindof boring. i think its the shadow.
 
Is that shadow from a flash? With the right settings and any kind of decent ambient lighting especially on a white surface you should be able to go without a flash, the shadow is a little distracting after it was pointed out...

ALIAS
(Rookie)
 
Last edited:
The first two were def overprocessed. lol. I love the shadow! What is with people and shadows? I thought the shadow was just a little added detail. I used a 500 watt work light to light a basiclly pitch black room. I angled the light to get that shadow!
 
If you love the shadow, that's fine. But I would have to agree with others that it will be better if you can diffuse the light and have a softer shadow.
 
The last one is soft because you had your aperture too wide and your ISO too high is my guess. What were your camera settings?
 
The last one is soft because you had your aperture too wide and your ISO too high is my guess. What were your camera settings?

My iso was 100 and the aperature was 8+ ...... i couldnt get it to look right, weird huh? I seriously think the end of my lens is soft.
 
oh is this on linen paper? That must be in the shadow making me think it was noise. The image is not soft, it just has a small DOF. it's actually in focus on the black markings closest to the drawing end of the crayon, and then goes out of focus quickly. Try again using a smaller aperture and I bet you'll like the results better.
 
If you love the shadow, that's fine. But I would have to agree with others that it will be better if you can diffuse the light and have a softer shadow.

I didnt think of that. I had a single 500watt light that i baught that seemed decent but i exchanged it for the dual 500watt (1000watt total now) on a tripod so i can move it around and angle the heads to bounce the light. I dont have a flash so $30 for 1000watts of power was worth it to me. I got them at lowes incase anyone was wondering. Anyways, i am going to wrap a cardboard square in tinfoil and use that to redirect light ... so when i get home tonight im going to take more shots when attempting to bounce the light or redirecting it.

Next step after that, is to make a giant diffuser! lol
 
oh is this on linen paper? That must be in the shadow making me think it was noise. The image is not soft, it just has a small DOF. it's actually in focus on the black markings closest to the drawing end of the crayon, and then goes out of focus quickly. Try again using a smaller aperture and I bet you'll like the results better.


f8 is still too shallow? I think this could even be in the f11 range. Im not at home so i cant tell you for shure!
 
You know, you may not really need 1000 watts. Especially for product type photos and the camera is on a tripod.
 
on a full frame camera, if you're filling the frame with this shot (i.e. not cropping after) then yes, f11 might even be too shallow. Shoot starting at f11 and work your way up to the max that the lens will do. After that, examine the photos on a computer. Somewhere along the line, you'll start losing sharpness due to light refraction, but right before that will be the optimal f-stop for this picture.
 
I know this is a "photography" forum, but what's wrong with trying to create a little art? I actually find the first 2 kinda cool... not as photographs, but as cool pictures.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom